In our last article on phobia list we learned the difference between phobia and fear. What we didn’t learn is what leads to phobia. Before you give you the phobia list that starts with B, we will first try to understand what leads to phobia. Ready?
It is actually very difficult to say what causing phobia. No one can, for sure, say that there is just one cause. In fact, phobia can take birth as a result of multiple factors. Some of the factors that lead to phobia are listed below:
- Traumas or particular incidents: We as humans go through various incidences in our lives that can shake us up. For instance, if we are flying on an airplane and it gets into a turbulence, we will be shaken up. Now imagine a child who faces the same incidence in his or her childhood. It may so happen that when that child grows up, he or she develops a phobia of flying. That can happen to anyone. There are many such incidences in our lives that can eventually lead to phobia. Care to talk about one such incidence in your life?
- Genetics: Like it or not, our genes can play a big role in this. Our genetic make up different for every single individual. It is this genetic make that can make a person far more susceptible to phobia compared to others.
- Learned responses: What really is that? Well, it simply means that what you learn during your young age. For instance, if you keep seeing your parents getting really worried about small issues or big and getting anxious very quickly when a situation doesn’t go as they expected, you may actually pick up the same behavior. It may happen that if your parents have a certain phobia, you may also pick up the same. Learned responses can be picked up from just anyone.
- Long-term stress: Stress is a bad thing. It can lead to depression and anxiety. As a result of this, you can simply find a decline in your ability to cope with certain situations or anxiety. You may just become more fearful into getting into situations that can possible be difficult for you to handle. This, over the long run, can eventually lead to phobia for such situations.
- Fear or panic response: Everyone of us have, at least once in our lifetime, faced a situation where we had a panic attack or a strong reaction to a particular object or a situation. To top that, a thing that like can happen in front of others who can laugh at us for such reaction and make us feel embarrassed. Over time, we will definitely develop a very strong anxiety about getting into a similar situation in front of others. This can also lead to phobia.
So the bottomline is simple! There is no single reason that leads to phobia. There can be numerous reasons. The truth is that we can be the cause of someone’s phobia. So, it is our moral responsibility to behave rationally with others to spare them lifelong suffering as we ourselves can be victimised by others. Definitely there will be factors that will be beyond our control but whenever we can, we should control our behavior towards others.
So, now let us begin with the phobia list starting with “B”: