The common passage through which both food and air gets into our body is the Pharynx. Though, pharynx works in both respiratory and digestive systems, we don’t give that poor organ enough credit for its work. Today we will learn 20 Interesting Pharynx Facts and increase our knowledge. So, let’s begin…
Interesting Pharynx Facts: 1-5
2. It is an organ which is found in both vertebrates and non-vertebrates. However, the structure may vary from species to species.
3. The word “Pharynx” is derived from the Greek words “Pharunx” or “Pharung”. Its plural form is pharynges.
4. It is almost conical in structure. It starts from the base of the skull. It is surrounded by cricoid cartilage in the front and seventh cervical vertebra from the back.
5. It is nearly 12.5 cm long or 5 inches long. It is a musculomembranous tube which has its greatest breadth at the base of the skull from where it starts and is narrowed down at the Esophagus.
Interesting Pharynx Facts: 6-10
6. Pharynx has connections with seven cavities which are 2 nasal cavities, 2 tympanic cavities (cavity which surrounds the bones present in the middle ear), mouth, esophagus, larynx.
7. It has three linings viz., mucous, fibrous and muscular. The innermost coat is the muscular. It has five muscles which are as follows – lower constrictor (Constrictor pharyngis inferior), middle constrictor (Constrictor pharyngis medius), superior constrictor (Constrictor pharyngis superior), Stylopharyngeus and Salpingopharyngeus.
8. Then comes the fibrous layer which is thick in the anterior region and gradually decreases in its thickness and completely diminishes in the posterior region.
9. The mucous coat lines the mouth, larynx, auditory tubes and the nasal cavities. Racemose mucous glands are present under the mucous membrane. They are abundantly present in the upper part of the pharynx especially at the orifices of the auditory tubes.
10. It can be divided into three parts viz., nasopharynx, oropharynx and laryngopharynx.