English language is spoken by almost all the countries. It is so famous that it is the official language of 79 countries in the world. English language is a mixture of stealing, copying, inventions, misspellings etc. Yet it has emerged as a global language today. Let’s learn some interesting and fun English language facts.
English Language Facts: 1-5
1. Did you know that there are more than 2 billion English words in Oxford English Corpus at present? However, an average person like you and me knows only 50,000 words.
2. It is often believed that for every 98 minutes, a new English word is created.
3. The commonest word in English is “the”. “You” stands at 18th place and “me” stands at 50th place.
4. There are only fifteen words which have two u’s in immediate succession. Some of the words are Anschauung, Carduus, Continuum, Duumvir, Equus.
5. Just like other things and organisms on this Earth, words have a lifespan. The lifespan ranges from 1,000 to 20,000 years. One such word which went out of use is “Sleight”.
English Language Facts: 6-10
6. Like ghost cities in China, there are ghost words in the English vocabulary. One such word was found in Webster’s dictionary which was released in 1934. The word was “dord” which, according to the dictionary, meant density. The mistake was found in 1939. But it remained in the dictionaries till 1947.
7. ‘Gadsby’ is a novel written by Ernest Vincent Wright. So, what’s special in that? Well, the novel contained 50,000 words and none of those words had the letter “E”.
8. Paul Dickson, a lexicographer, entered Guinness World Record. He collected nearly 3,000 (2,964 to be precise) synonyms for the word drunk. That’s the highest collected till now.
9. ‘Dreamt’ is the only word that ends with “mt” in the English language. In British English, the word dreamed is used instead of dreamt.
10. According to the Oxford Dictionaries, the rhyming word for orange is sporange (a rare alternative form of sporangium, a fern’s receptacle where asexual spore formation takes place).