Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Can dogs eat grapes? NO, THEY CAN’T. GRAPES ARE POISONOUS FOR DOGS!

Not only are the majority of fruits and vegetables appropriate to feed your dog, but they also provide several nutritional advantages. Regrettably, grapes and raisins do not fall under this category.

These delectable fruits are extremely poisonous to dogs and can result in severe renal failure or even death. Learn more about this perilous fruit and why you should NEVER share it with your dog.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Grapes are poisonous to dogs. Grapes either with seeds or without seeds, grapes of all colors like red, green, purple, etc. should be avoided at all costs! Dogs CAN’T EAT GRAPES!

Avoid giving grapes or grape products to your dog and ensure that your dog does not have any access to them. Assure that all members of your family and guests are aware that grapes are harmful to dogs and must never be given to them.

Grape poisoning in dogs can result in severe renal damage, which can result in catastrophic acute kidney failure. Although the precise toxin in grapes is unclear, it is likely to be due to dogs’ inability to metabolize monosaccharides, flavonoids, and tannins found in grapes.

Grape goods like jellies, jams, juice, etc., and even raisins-filled bagels should be avoided. Grapes and grape products are nutritionally inert and can be replaced with dog-safe fruits such as apple slices.

Are Grapes Poisonous to Dogs?

There has been a great deal of study conducted on grape and raisin toxicity, and experts have discovered that there are no simple answers. Several ideas have been ruled out.

Fungus and Molds: Mold or fungus on either raisins or grapes was ruled out as being hazardous to dogs. Numerous studies of grapes from a variety of sources (wineries, organic farms, gardens, grocery shops, etc.) discovered no association between the fruit’s distinct origins.

Seeds: Because research has established that seedless grapes are equally harmful, they do not believe the seeds to be the toxin.

Allergies: Although allergies to plant-based meals are uncommon in dogs, they do occur. The data was insufficient and inconsistent to establish allergies as a result of the fruit.

Pesticides: They examined grapes and raisins grown in a variety of different nations and under a variety of different farming techniques. The toxicity was the same whether the fruit was cultivated naturally or with pesticides.

Scientists ruled out salicylate, an aspirin-like chemical found naturally in grapes, as the toxin responsible for dogs being ill.

While we do not know for certain why dogs have a poisonous reaction to grapes, we do know that it is caused by something in the peel or flesh of the fruit. As a result, grapes are not a fruit that dog owners can feed their dogs in any manner.

Is Grape Seed Poisonous to Dogs?

For years, grapeseed extract has been used as a supplement for dogs with arthritis, with no significant ill effects. Thus, while the safety of grape seed extract is mostly unknown, there appears to be no link between grape toxicity and grape seed extract.

However, because each dog’s harmful reaction to grapes is unique, vets recommend avoiding all grape products.

How About Grape juice?

Grape juice is poisonous to dogs since it is a direct result of the grape’s flesh and peel.

This is also true for any baked dish including raisins, currants, and grapes.

Are Raisins an Option?

Raisins are poisonous to dogs. Raisins are simply dehydrated grapes, and as such, they are equally hazardous.

How Many Grapes Can My Dog Eat Before Becoming Ill?

Each dog is unique. Having said that, research on dog breeds and grape-eating indicates that any amount of grape can be toxic.

Bear in mind that when grapes are consumed, body weight may be a factor. A Pomeranian or a Yorkie may have a considerably lower tolerance for grapes than a big dog, such as a Labrador or a Shepherd.

A couple of grapes may not cause any difficulties in larger dogs, but simply one grape may induce abrupt renal failure in a smaller dog. Also, some huge dogs will respond to a small number of grapes.

There is no definitive answer to the question of how many grapes will harm your dog. The risk factor that predisposes one dog to grape poisoning is unclear. The best course of action is to keep currants, grapes, and raisins out of reach of your dog.

What Would Happen If My Dog Ate Grapes?

If you believe your dog stole a few grapes, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Even if you’re not certain your dog ate the grapes or if it was a significant amount, waiting until symptoms appear may be too late. The sooner grape poisoning is treated, the better.

What Symptoms Indicate Grape Poisoning?

Your dog may vomit or have diarrhea, which can result in sluggish behavior and dehydration. If you are certain your dog ate grapes and did not vomit, you can attempt to induce vomiting. Other common symptoms include:

  • Extremely foul breath
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased volume of urine, or no peeing
  • Abdominal pain when touched
  • Refusal to eat or drink
  • Tremors or seizures
  • Weakness

Veterinarian care is required immediately for these and any other strange or abnormal behaviors. Notify our veterinarian if you notice grape pieces in your dog’s vomit or feces, or if you see it consume grapes. He or she will instinctively know what to do.

Is Grape Poisoning a Serious Situation?

Grape poisoning left untreated might result in abrupt renal failure within 72 hours. By that time, it may be too late for the dog to fully recover. Thus, if your dog has consumed grapes, it is a medical emergency.

How is a Dog Poisoned with Grapes Treated?

If fewer than two hours have passed after the grapes were consumed, the veterinarian will quickly induce vomiting. Once the stomach has been emptied, they will provide activated charcoal to bind the poisons and restrict absorption, therefore preventing further kidney injury.

They may prescribe urine and blood testing to determine the function of the kidneys and the extent of any damage.

If your dog develops acute renal failure, it will begin receiving fluid treatment.

Although the prognosis might be dire if the kidneys are involved, several dogs have recovered after eating grapes and obtaining prompt medical attention.

The critical point to remember is that grapes in any form are toxic to dogs and should be avoided at all costs. If you believe your dog has consumed grapes or is exhibiting grape/raisin poisoning symptoms, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center immediately (888-426-4435).

While pet owners like sharing meals with their pets, grapes are not a fruit that should be shared. They are poisonous and, if not treated promptly, can result in severe renal failure. Therefore, for the sake of your dog’s health, keep grapes away from your pooches!

Sources: AKC, Purina, Daily Paws

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.