Scary facts are those that cause dread, horror, or surprise. This page has scary facts about a wide range of things, from violent rulers in history to dangerous animals to more current issues like climate change and global inequality.
Scary Facts 1-10
1. Humans also lose skin. According to the World Health Organization and recent research, the average individual will lose around 112 pounds of skin over the course of their lifetime.
2. We might end homelessness in America more easily than you may believe. There are around 17,000,000 unoccupied homes in the United States at any given moment.
According to EndHomelessness.org, there are around 500,000 homeless persons in the United States. We have enough vacant homes to provide each homeless individual with many homes.
3. Your cell phone is filthier than a public restroom. Your mobile phone has 10 times more germs than the typical public bathroom.
4. Did you know that around 250,000 fatalities every year are the result of medical mistake.
5. Blood is expelled from the eyes of horned lizards as a defensive measure.
6. You might be conscious of being in a coma-like condition. It is possible that Locked-in Syndrome is the most terrible medical condition. It is the state of being between sleep and wakefulness.
You are aware that you are awake and can hear and see your surroundings. However, you cannot speak and can only move your eyes, rendering you incapable of responding.
7. Your cat may know your impending death. Oscar, a pet cat who stayed in a nursing home, was supposed to be able to predict the impending death of a resident. He would sleep by their side till they went.
8. Real Rat Kings exist. When a colony of rats living in close quarters get their tails entangled (for various causes), they are referred to be “rat kings.”
9. Never mention that mosquitoes are “eating you alive” again. That was a real execution procedure.
Scaphism was an ancient type of torture and execution in which the victim was covered with honey, placed in a hollowed-out log, and left to the whims of nature.
10. Pine trees have been shown to grow within the human body. Recently, doctors performed surgery to remove what they believed to be a tumour. It was discovered that a fir tree was growing in the man’s lungs.
Scary Facts 11-20
11. There may be a radio station in Russia that is haunted. Low-frequency radio station UVB-76 has been transmitting since 1982. Nobody knows the origin of the transmission. It’s primarily a buzzing sound, with the rare broadcast of a Russian voice.
12. Your child is precisely as weird as you believe. Twenty percent of kids claim to hear voices.
13. It is possible that Attack of the Killer Bees is not too far from the reality. It is reported that the venom of the Japanese gigantic hornet can “melt” human flesh.
14. One-third of homicides in the United States remain unsolved. Is there anything more that should be mentioned?
15. During a single kiss, more than 80 million germs are shared. Consider this the next time you kiss your date.
16. Mike the Headless Chicken was a chicken whose head was cut off, but it still lived for 18 months.
17. Babies develop moustaches in the womb, which expand to cover their entire bodies with a kind of hair known as Lanugo. The body hair provides insulation and aids in temperature regulation. Not to fear, they lose it prior to delivery.
18. Every day, 27,000 trees are sacrificed to provide toilet paper for people.
19. Rodents may transmit at least 35 different illnesses to humans. Salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, hantavirus, etc. are a few examples of these illnesses.
20. The intelligence of crows allows them to distinguish human faces.
Scary Facts 21-30
21. All of us have microscopic mites living on our eyelashes.
22. The Paris Catacombs contain the bones and remains of almost six million individuals.
23. South American Pacu fish have human-like teeth.
24. On the moon, an astronaut’s footprint can last for a million years.
26. In 2015, the journal Science reported that between 4.8 and 12.7 million tons of plastic enter the seas annually on average.
27. Every year, 1.2 trillion gallons of sewage, rainwater, and industrial waste are discharged into U.S. waterways, according to DoSomething.org.
28. In the Czech Republic, there is a modest Roman Catholic church known as the Sedlec Ossuary. What sets this church apart from others? Its ornamentation is composed of human bones. It is thought that the ossuary contains the remains of 40,000 to 70,000 individuals.
29. In the 1800s, dentures were created from the teeth of deceased individuals.
30. The Disneyland attraction Pirates of the Caribbean is renowned, but its past is somewhat disturbing. In the 1960s, when the rollercoaster was initially constructed, the artificial skeletons appeared, well, fake.
The Imagineers (also known as “imaginative” “engineers”) at Disney were unsatisfied, so they contacted UCLA’s anatomy department for the genuine stuff.
As technology advanced and phony skeletons came to appear more realistic, the actual skeletons were purportedly buried.
Scary Facts 31-40
31. The majority of the dust in your home is composed of your dead skin cells. Each year, you lose about eight pounds of skin, which accumulates in the corners of your home.
32. Demodex folliculorum is a specialized mite that resides in your eyebrows and feeds on your dead skin.
33. Sleep paralysis is a terrible condition in which an individual is conscious yet unable to move. Sleep paralysis patients frequently hallucinate devils.
34. In the United States, one out of every three homicides is never solved.
35. Remember Murder Hornets? They have been located again in the state of Washington.
36. Annually, 41 percent of Americans incur medical debt. This idea doesn’t even exist in any other developed country.
37. The radio station UVB-76, often known as “The Buzzer,” is likely haunted. It transmits a low-frequency noise and few Russian communications. It began somewhere in the 1970s, although nobody knows where it originated.
38. A group of crows is known as a murder. Crows have also been observed exacting vengeance on those who have harmed them.
39. The Czechs weren’t the only ones with inventive bone applications! The ancient Britons utilized human skulls as cups and bowls often.
40. During the Middle Ages, mummies were consumed for therapeutic purposes. It is the primary reason why there are not many mummies left today.
Scary Facts 41-50
41. You’ve heard of the Dance Marathon fad of the Great Depression, right? Couples would compete for monetary prizes to determine who could dance the longest. On occasion, someone would pass away from weariness on the dance floor.
42. If you are afraid of the ocean, I have bad news for you. Climate warming is causing enormous jellyfish outbreaks in our oceans.
43. In terms of climate change, the hottest summer in American history occurred in 2021.
44. In the 1920s, the American domestic terrorist organization the Ku Klux Klan maintained a youth chapter known as the “Ku Klux Kiddies.”
45. In northeastern Angola, scientists have discovered a new species of tarantula with a horn on its back.
46. That does not make staying in the United States safe! Scientists have discovered fourteen new tarantula species in the United States. One was called in honor of the American musician Johnny Cash.
47. Did you know that Glenn Close was raised in a cult, speaking about celebrities?
48. Doctors are pleading with the public to end the Milk Crate Challenge. They report that milk carton falls cause more severe injuries than ladder falls.
49. Did you believe that squirrels were acceptable due of their fluffy tails? They may even intertwine their tails and become squirrel monarchs.
50. According to the previous director of the FBI, there are between 25 and 50 active serial murderers in the United States at any given moment.