Golden retrievers are beautiful, energetic, and fun-to-be-with. These are one of the dog breeds that everyone loves. In this article on fun Golden Retriever facts, we will tell you facts about them that will make you fall in love with them a little more.
Golden Retriever Facts: 1-7
1. Golden Retrievers were first bred in Scotland in the 19th century. It was bred to be a hunting breed.
2. This breed reached the shores of North America in the 1920s when they got popular for their extremely good looks and their calm temperament.
3. American Kennel Club (AKC) registered the Golden Retriever as a separate breed in 1925.
4. People may not know this Golden Retriever fact but it is a crossbreed. It is a crossbreed between Yellow Flat-Coated Retriever and an extinct breed, Tweed Water Spaniel. Crossbreeding was done somewhere in the 1800s.
5. They can tolerate pain to a great extent. They can sustain injuries that other dogs may not tolerate. This is the reason why they are such good police helpers, hunting helpers and rescuers.
6. As the goldie ages, his fur darkens. You can actually tell the fur color that your puppy will have in the adult stage just by looking at the color of the tip of its ears.
7. These guys are excellent swimmers thanks to their webbed toes and long tail.
Golden Retriever Facts: 8-14
8. They are one of the top dog breeds to have a strong sense of smell.
9. You may desperately want a Golden Retriever in your life but you must make sure that you are ready to shell out an average of $13,000 dollars over the lifetime (with an extra $800 a year on vet bills) on your dog considering he will live for 10 to 12 years.
10. Some of the famous Golden Retriever celebrities are Shadow from Homeward Bound, Air Bud’s Buddy, etc.
11. The Golden Retriever has 2 layers of fur. The outer one is to keep the body water-proof and the inner one is to keep the body warm.
12. These pups are active and they have to be kept active for most of their lives else they will start gaining weight and in no time they will be obese.
13. Good thing is that they are good at playing games like hiking, fetching, swimming, etc.
14. They can master a lot of skills despite their playful and goofy nature.
Golden Retriever Facts: 15-21
15. These dogs are extremely compassionate beings. They are capable of giving unconditional love. They can easily calm and soothe right from children to aged people.
16. Golden Retrievers stay young at heart for the most part of their life.
17. They are born to eat food! They can eat anything and everything. They may even end up eating crayons, papers, etc. They tend to get overweight so you should be careful when it comes to eating habits of your Golden Retriever.
18. They like to carry something or other in their mouths. It can be a stick, toy, or clothing, etc.
19. They have a reputation. It is said that their mouths are so soft that they can carry a raw (unboiled egg) in their mouth without breaking the shell.
20. As they are agile and super active, they are champions in winning many agility competitions.
21. Golden Retrievers have been one of the favorite breeds (the third favorite to be precise) in the United States of America for several years.
Golden Retriever Facts: 22-28
22. They have a life-span of 10 to 12 years. Some can live up to 14 years or all the way up to 18 years.
23. Golden Retrievers are amazing family dogs. They behave really well with other pets and children.
24. They have an average weight of 65 to 75 pounds for males and 55 to 65 pounds for females.
25. Males have a height of 24 inches and females have a height of 22 inches.
26. They are placed in the ‘Sporting’ category under the AKC classification and are placed in the ‘Gun Dog’ category under the UKC classification.
27. They are social beings and hence, they are needy. They quickly get depressed if they are left alone for long periods. Experts say they can’t be left alone for seven straight hours.
28. They require a total exercise time of 40 minutes every day.
Golden Retriever Facts: 29-35
29. Lord Tweedmouth or Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks is the person considered as the person who invented the Golden Retriever breed in Scotland in the 19th century.
30. They are considered as the fourth most intelligent dog breeds in the world. The first three are Border Collies (1st), Poodles (2nd), and German Shepherds (3rd).
31. Ford and Reagan, the two presidents of the USA, had Golden Retrievers as pets when they were in office.
32. An Australian Golden Retriever holds the Guinness Book of World Records for the loudest bark. The bark measured 113.1 decibels. It is 3 decibels louder than a buzzing chainsaw.
33. Another Golden Retriever holds the Guinness Book of World Records for the most tennis balls held in the mouth in a single time. This fellow held 5 tennis balls in his mouth.
34. There are three types of Golden Retrievers – English, American, and Canadian.
35. Another thing you need to remember before getting a goldie is they shed a lot! They shed twice every year.
Golden Retriever Facts: 36-42
36. They need regular grooming and you need to brush them once or twice a week to reduce shedding.
37. Positive reinforcement is best suited for training Golden Retrievers.
38. They are not only good as therapy and rescue dogs, but they are also excellent when it comes to seeing eye or guide dogs.
39. The first image to be ever uploaded on Instagram is of a Golden Retriever. It was uploaded in 2010.
40. Golden Retrievers have more neurons than cats relative to their size.
41. Golden Retrievers are vulnerable to diseases like cancer, eye problems, etc. They are also vulnerable to hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament disease, elbow dysplasia, etc.
42. Pure black Golden Retrievers don’t exist.
We hope you enjoyed these fun Golden Retriever facts. If you want us to write on any other breed or any other topic, do comment below.