Every human being has one thing in common – sleep. In fact, this is one thing that all life forms have in common. Possibly because it is so common that we do not really think of it much but we should. We often think that we have overslept and that we have wasted much of time but that’s not true! Without sleep we cannot function properly. All of us need a minimum amount of sleep but this ‘minimum’ can differ from person to person and it is also different when compared to animals. Let us learn 40 interesting sleep facts and we are pretty damn sure that you will be surprised. Ready?
Interesting Sleep Facts: 1-10
1. Any human being spends 1/3rd of his/her lifetime sleeping. So, if a person lives for 75 years, he or she spends 25 years sleeping.
2. Lighting up a bright light right behind the knees can actually reset the sleep-wake clock of a person’s brain. This was shown in an experiment conducted in 1998.
3. People think that sleeping can led to weight gain. On the contrary, sleep deprivation can lead to weight gain of 0.9 kilograms or 2 pounds in just under 1 week.
4. No one can ever sneeze while sleeping.
5. In Japan sleeping at work is not punishable. In fact it is very much acceptable and employers look upon it as exhaustion caused by hard work.
6. Ever found it difficult to get out of bed in morning? Many people face this problem and there is a medical term for this. It is known as Dysania.
7. In a study it was found that people sleep well during New Moon and poor sleep during Full Moon.
8. If you just believe that you have slept well even if you really didn’t do that, it can help to improve your performance at work.
9. More calories are burned while sleeping that while watching TV.
10. Nightmares while sleeping can be caused by beta blockers, migraines, sleep deprivation and even heart conditions.