What is Flirting?
Before we jump on to flirting facts, let’s understand what flirting means. Did you know that it is a form of interaction that is universal to all humans irrespective of the country people live in? Flirting can reflect sexual interest, or it can reflect a desire to bond.
Okay, now that you know what flirting is, it is time that we jump straight into flirting facts.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 1-5
1. When it comes to human interactions, flirting is a form of interaction and it is essential.
2. Not only is flirting essential but is also universal form of human interaction.
3. Flirting can be used either for expressing sexual interest or for bonding with someone.
4. Flirting is actually a set of actions, which are both verbal and non-verbal. These actions reflect attraction for someone or interest in someone.
5. Flirting requires the ability to not only read someone’s body language but also to display body language.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 6-10
6. Usually flirting is at times subconscious. However, it is always non-threatening and playful.
7. 5 general styles of flirting have been identified by researchers. These include:
- Physical flirting.
- Traditional flirting where men move first.
- Polite flirting where the two involved persons are very less likely to approach each other.
- Sincere flirting.
- Playful flirting meant only for fun.
8. Researchers say that dating success comes most with physical flirting, playful flirting and sincere flirting.
9. However, researchers do not ignore the fact that depending on the flirting goal, all forms can be effective.
10. Within these 5 general flirting forms, there are 52 different signals. The commonest signal used by women is flipping hair.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 11-15
11. 90% of the times, women are the ones who start flirting. However, once flirting is initiated, men are the ones who pursue, not women. This happens because men intend to think women have invited advances by initiating flirting.
12. A study done by Manchester University suggests that women prefer wearing red lipsticks while flirting. The same study said that men look at red lips for 7.3 seconds while they look at pink lips for 6.7 seconds.
13. Are there any pitfalls of flirting? Yes! There are four common pitfalls:
- A person may pick up a wrong person for flirting.
- A person may not know how to make a move.
- A person may keep worrying about awful end results.
- A person may fail to read body languages accurately.
14. In the journal named Social Influence, a study was published. It stated that a woman will, more likely, give her phone number when a man flirts with her on a sunny day. The likelihood of giving out phone number to the same person is less on a cloudy day.
15. What’s about sunny and cloudy weather? Researchers believe that either men are good at flirting on sunny day, or women are in better mood on a sunny day.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 16-20
16. A woman getting most attention in crowd gives 35 flirting signals in a single hour, says scientists Judy Dutton. These signals can be anything from stroking arm to tilting head.
17. Most attractive people don’t necessarily get most attention. It is almost always the most effective flirters who end up with most attention.
18. Compared to women, men have more testosterone. About 10 times to 20 times more. That’s the reason why men look at interactions from a sexual point of view. This is the primary reason why men misread flirting signals more, compared to women.
19. Researchers say that flirting is nothing more than an attitude. A person, according to the researchers, can be a successful flirt if he or she approaches as if he or she will not fail.
20. Complimenting a woman’s lips is the most effective pickup line, says Baboo.com.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 21-25
22. Women flirts should keep in mind that their scent will turn on men. Most effective ones are baby lotion, dried fruit and fake tan.
23. Smells of lavender and lipstick, that are sweeter smells are also capable of turning men on.
24. Social Issues Research Centre says that a flirtatious glance should not last for more than 2-3 seconds. A non-romantic glance should not last for more than 1.18 seconds. Too much of eye contact is not good for flirting
25. A person will realize that another person is interested in him or her only after 3 glances from the interested person.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 26-30
26. Though effective flirting says that a flirtatious glance should not last more than 2-3 seconds, eye contact is important. The reward center of the brain, known as ventral striatum is activated by eye contact.
27. Notice the feet. Pigeon toes (feet pointing towards each other) means a person is approachable. If the feet of the other person point towards you, it means that the person is interested. If the feet of the other person point away from you, it means that the person is not interested. Essentially, feet point towards the direction they want to go.
28. In our previous article on flirting facts we said that flirting means a willingness to bond – non-sexually or sexually. This means that a person flirting will often subconsciously mimic the person he or she is flirting with. This mimicking is an act of getting in sync with the person in order to bond.
29. Flirtatious people are healthier than non-flirtatious people. A study shows that T-cells count in flirtatious people is higher. T-cells are white blood cells – a part of our body’s immune system.
30. Flirting has a set of etiquette that are unwritten and complex. These laws determine with whom to flirt, when to flirt, where and how to flirt. We become aware of the laws when someone breaks them.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 31-35
31. Best places to flirt are social organizations, celebrations and parties. That’s because carnivals, parties, festivals, celebrations etc. are governed by cultural remission – a special type of behavioral code.
32. Two people meeting for first time will have 55% of initial impression based on looks along with body language. 38% impression comes from style of speaking. What is actually said by those people make the remaining 7% of the impression.
33. Thus, for flirting, body language and appearances play a very vital role which cannot be ignored.
34. Establishments where food takes priority of drinking, flirting is not much tolerated.
35. Places like bars are more about dancing and drinking and hence flirting in those places is considered socially sanctioned.
Fantastic Flirting Facts: 36-40
36. Compared to a party, a bar has more flirting restrictions. Did you ever think of that? Seats near the bar counter fall under public zone and hence, flirting is pretty acceptable.
37. On the other hand, seats that are in far corners of the bar are considered more private and hence, flirting there is not much socially acceptable.
38. If a person is flirting secretively (from spouse), it is cheating. If a married person flirts with sexual agenda, it is flirting. If the partner of a person flirting doesn’t like it, it is called cheating.
39. Smiles are deceptive because there are 18 different smile types. Most genuine of all smiles is when it creates crow’s feet. Crow’s feet refer to lines that are formed at the corners of the eyes while smiling. Crow’s feet mean a person is genuinely interested, and hence flirting and it is not fake flirting.
40. Body languages can differ from culture to culture but flirting signs are more transcultural. For instance, women, irrespective of country or culture, arch eyebrows, avert gaze or smile while flirting.