Heart – it is a weird thing right? You can win it, you can break it! You can feel it and you can hear it beating! It is one such organ in our body without which we cannot survive. Put in simple words, the heart is a vital organ that keeps us alive. But the question is, ‘how much do you really know about your heart?’ Let us today learn 40 interesting facts about human heart and be amazed by its amazing abilities.
Facts About Human Heart: 1-10
1. Human body cannot survive without a heart but the heart can survive without a human body! Sounds weird right? That’s true. Human heart has its own electrical impulses. This allows the heart to continue beating even if it is separated from the body. However, there is one requirement. It should continue to get a steady supply of oxygen exactly the same way it receives oxygen inside the body.
2. Human heart beats around 100,000 times in a single day. So, if someone lives up to 70 years, his or her heart will beat for 2.5 billion times. Okay, that may be hard to remember so, for now it will suffice to know that our heart beats 72 times a minute.
3. What do we really mean when we say that our heart beats? Heart beat is nothing but the pumping action of the heart muscles. The heart is a pump that works day and night without rest. The moment the heart decides to take rest, we are dead!
4. So, what does it pump? It pumps blood. The human heart is responsible for pumping 2,000 gallons of blood each day. It is not that we have 2,000 gallons of blood in our body but the fact is that 5.6 liters of blood that we have in our body is pumped so many times that the net volume pumped is 2,000 gallons.
5. The heart pumps the blood and sends it to different tissues and organs in our body through 60,000 miles of blood vessels!
6. The energy created by the pumping action of the heart in a human body in one day is enough to drive a truck for a distance of 20 miles! So, if all the energy produced by the heart throughout the lifetime of a person can be collected, it will be enough to drive all the way to the moon and come back to earth!
7. The heart clocks 150 beats a minute in the fetal stage. This is over twice the beating rate in adults. By the time the fetus reaches 12 weeks of age, the heart starts pumping 60 pints of blood in one day!
8. The heart is responsible for pumping blood to all 75 trillion cells present in human body. The only place where blood is not sent by the heart are the human corneas.
9. Heart is the only muscle in human body which does the maximum amount of physical work, generating around 1-5 watts of power. Even with 1 watt power, the heart can produce 2.5 gigajoules of energy in 80 years (assuming that a person survives 80 years.
10. In any healthy adult, the heart is responsible for pumping 5.6 liters of blood to each and every body tissue and also to-and-from lungs in just a single minute.