Water – that extraordinary fluid without which no life on earth can survive! Unfortunately, we humans don’t know much about it despite the fact that we keep on using it on a daily basis. In case you are interested in learning some extraordinary water facts, here is your chance. We must however, say that this list of 30 water facts is not complete. We will give you another list shortly. So, keep enjoying and do tell us whether you knew these facts or not!
Water Facts: 1-5
1. In a single flush, 1.6 gallons or 6 liters of clean water is used by any average toilet!
2. We get our daily water sitting right at home. But, did you known that there are many places in Asia and Africa where people actually walk a distance of 6 kilometers or 3.7 miles to get hold of the daily water they need?
3. On this planet earth, 3.4 million human deaths are caused on an average every single year because of causes that are related to water!
4. Of the total water available in this world, only 1% is actually drinkable!
5. Nearly 700 million Chinese people do not have access to clean water. They drink contaminated water!
Water Facts: 6-10
6. If you think billboards have nothing to do with water, think again. In Peru, you will find a billboard which is capable of producing not just any water but drinkable water out of nothing but thin air!
7. You think our bones are all calcium right? Wrong! 31% of our bone density is made of water.
8. Pure water is a very poor conductor of electricity. So, if you sit in pure water with no impurities in it and someone drops an electric wire it in, you will end up getting only mild shocks. It is the impurities in the water that actually conduct electricity.
9. Hot water is lighter than cold water.
10. Of all fresh water found on earth, 90% is concentrated in Antarctica.
Water Facts: 11-15
11. There is water outside earth. Yes! And that’s liquid water actually. That water reservoir that is floating in deep space holds 140 trillion times the total water we have on earth oceans!
12. Of all water used in an average home, 2/3rd goes for bathroom uses.
13. Our poop (yikes) also has water in it. But how much? An astonishing 75% of poop is actually water.
14. Are you drinking water that Cleopatra drank once? The probability of any glass of water you pick up for drinking containing at least one water molecule that Cleopatra drank is actually 1 (which is essentially 100%).
15. Too much of anything is not really good and that is true even for water. Drink too much water in too little time and you will have water intoxication. That can actually kill you!
Water Facts: 16-20
16. Of the total mass of earth, only 0.07% is water mass. Of the total volume of earth, 0.4% is water.
17. But… 70.9% of entire earth’s surface is actually covered with water!
18. You think water is a colorless fluid? Think again! You have been taught wrong in schools. Water is actually light turquoise blue. Water gets its color because it can only weakly absorb visible spectrum’s red light.
19. Lake Baikal in Russia holds 20% of unfrozen fresh water present on planet earth.
20. Under special circumstances, hot water can actually freeze way quicker than cold water. This effect is known as Mpemba Effect.
Water Facts: 21-25
21. You think vending machines are modern? Well, think again! World’s first known vending machine dates back to 1st Century CE which actually dispensed holy water after accepting a coin!
22. In order to make a single pair of jeans, 2,900 gallons of water is required!
23. In Austria, Holy Water was tested for purity. It turned out that 86% of the tested water contained fecal matter that came from hands of people.
24. You will see expiration date on packaged drinking water bottles. That date is not for the water but for the bottle.
25. There is a machine which is sponsored by Bill Gates. Specialty of that machine? It makes drinking water from poop!
Water Facts: 26-30
26. Camels are not supreme when it comes to surviving for long time without drinking water. Giraffes actually beat them!
27. How long can you hold your breath under water? The world record for that is 22 minutes!
28. Of all the water present on earth, only 0.003% can be actually used by humans.
29. At top of Mount Everest, water boils as 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 71 degrees Celsius.
Okay, this concludes our list of 30 water facts. However, we are nowhere even close to covering all facts. Stay tuned for our next water facts article.