It is pretty normal to think that we will provide some health benefits of watermelon when we give this list. But, we won’t actually do that. We will focus and concentrate only on watermelon fun facts. We will take on the health benefits of this refreshing summer fruit in a completely different article. Sounds good? So, let’s get started…
Watermelon Fun Facts: 1-5
1. The origins of watermelons can be traced all the way back to Southern Africa where wild watermelons first grew. To be more specific, the Kalahari Desert is believed to be the place where watermelon first originated.
2. The first harvest of watermelon took place in Egypt some 5,000 years ago. There are records of this in form of hieroglyphs on the walls of the ancient Egyptian building that have been studied.
3. Watermelons were put into the burial tombs of Pharaohs as it was believed by the Egyptians that the fruit will nourish them in their afterlife.
4. Watermelon’s access to the world opened through the Mediterranean Sea. They were carried to different countries using merchant ships.
5. Watermelon made it into China somewhere in the 10th century. Since then, the Chinese production of watermelons has only increased to give the country the crown of largest watermelon producer in world.
Watermelon Fun Facts: 6-10
6. Watermelon entered into Europe somewhere in the 13th century. The Moors were the people who introduced it in Europe.
7. Citrullus Lanatas – that is the biological name of watermelon and it is actually from the same family as the squash, pumpkin and the cucumber. This means, the watermelon is considered as a vegetable.
8. Well, just because it is considered to be a vegetable, it doesn’t mean that it is not a fruit. Technically speaking, it is a fruit simply because its development takes place from the ovary of the plant after the flowering. Also, it contains seeds. This makes it a fruit. Ask a botanist if you want.
9. Watermelon is an amazing fruit because every part of it can be eaten. Yes, every part! The fleshy part inside the rind, the rind and even the seeds – everything is edible.
10. There has been a long held notion that if you eat the seeds of the fruit, watermelon plant will grow inside the tummy. That’s technically impossible and is something that is told to scare children. The truth is that the seeds are extremely nutritious and chewing them and gulping them down will give you and awful lot of nutrition that your body needs.