Random Aluminum Fun Facts: 11-15
11. Is it aluminum or is it aluminium? In 1990, the name that was adopted by IUPAC was aluminium. However in 1993, the name was changed to aluminum. Even to this day, you can find the word ‘aluminium’ in use and it is absolutely correct.
12. Ever wondered who are the largest producers of aluminum in this world? When it comes to production of the metal, Australia, Brazil and China lead the world. Australia stands first.
13. Ever wondered who are the largest producers of aluminum ore in this world? When it comes to aluminum ore, the largest suppliers are Guinea, Australia and Vietnam.
14. Did you know that aluminum is almost completely recyclable? That makes its one of the most incredible metals ever known.
15. Ever wondered why aluminum extraction requires so much of electricity? That’s because the ores that are usually used for aluminum extraction have very high melting point. This makes it really difficult to extract aluminum and hence, more electricity requirement.
Random Aluminum Fun Facts: 16-20
16. Whether is it extraction of aluminum or just recycling, a byproduct is produced. That byproduct is known as white dross. White dross is extremely combustible however, it is usually used in asphalt and concrete production.
17. Aluminum has the amazing ability of reflecting 98% of infrared rays and 92% or visible light.
18. At one time, as we said earlier, aluminum was extremely expensive and precious. It is because of this Napoleon III of France actually used aluminum plates for serving state dinner.
19. In America every year, people just throw away enough aluminum that can be used for building the whole fleet of commercial planes in US.
20. Soft drinks cans that we throw away quite often – do you know how long their shelf life is? It is very little. As per Aluminum Association, most of those cans get recycled into new cans and hit the shelves in just 60 days or less.