This post on photography fun facts is a result of a request made by one of our readers – ‘Tuleen’. We already have another post on photography facts that you can read here. In this write-up, we are going to take a look at 30 amazing facts about photography. You may already know some of these facts but we are sure that some will be totally new for you. So, without further ado, let us begin…
DID YOU KNOW? There is a photo called Hand of Hope. In that photo, we can see an unborn baby pushed his or her hand out of the surgical incision on the uterus (during C-section) and held one of the fingers of the surgeon. The surgeon was so overwhelmed that he started crying and was spellbound for few minutes.
The iconic ‘Hand of Hope’ photo. Image Credit: Michael Clancy
Photography Fun Facts: 1-5
1. World Photography Day is celebrated every year on 19th of August. It started when two Frenchmen – Joseph Nicephore Niepce and Louis Daguerre invented Daguerreotype, a photographic process.
2. On 9th January, 1839, the French Academy of Sciences formally announced the Daguerreotype process. On 19th August of the same year, the government of France bought the patent rights and made it free for all.
3. This process was used in the oldest camera of the world. It was built by a French company, Susse Freres.
4. The costliest photograph of the world is the Rhein II. Andreas Gursky was the one who filmed it. It was sold for nearly 4.3 million dollars in the year 2011.
5. On 28th July, 1851, Julius Berkowski took the first photo of total solar eclipse.
Photography Fun Facts: 6-10
6. The word photography originates from two Greek words ‘photos’ and ‘graphé’. The meaning of the words is a ‘drawing with light’.
7. The first ever digital camera was invented by Steve Sasson of the Eastman Kodak in 1975.
8. The photographs of Ansel Adams were mostly distorted in the darkroom. The usual distortions were burning and dodging.
9. There are nearly 80 genres and 10 sub-genres of photography according to the Wikipedia.
10. As per Guinness the longest photo negative of the world is more than 260 feet long. Esteban Pastorino Diaz created it with help of Didi Dache in Beijing, China. It was created on 3rd of August, 2015.
Photography Fun Facts: 11-15
11. If research of Edward Vul and Drew Walker is to be believed, then we look more attractive in group photos than in individual ones. This is termed as Cheerleader Effect.
12. If you think that cats are ruling the internet and YouTube in 21st century, then you are completely wrong. Their photos are ruling the hearts of humans since 1870’s. It all started when Harry Pointer started taking normal pictures of cats. But, he soon realized that humans love the crazy side of the cats.
13. Research conducted by Richard Wiseman, a psychologist, showed that chances of you getting your lost wallet increases if you have someone’s photo in it. The researchers deliberately lost 240 wallets which had the contact address of the owners. Over 100 wallets were returned. 88% of the returned wallets had an infant’s photo followed by a puppy’s photo (return rate of 53%). Family photo came third with 48% of return rate and the photo of elderly couple had a return rate of 28%. Surprisingly, only 15% of the wallets were returned which had no photo at all!
14. Wake Forest University’s James Schirillo and Kelsey Blackburn conducted a research and according to that research, our left side of the face is considered more attractive than the right side. It is said in the research that left side is more attractive because the observer finds the left side pleasing and it shows intense emotions.
15. The most viewed photograph till now is the Bliss, a wallpaper of Windows XP. It was taken by Charles O’Rear, an American photographer.
Photography Fun Facts: 16-20
16. The first ever photographic paper was made of asphalt. Actually, glass or copper plate was coated by asphalt varnish.
17. Negative was invented by Talbot in the year 1839. Positive print was invented by Hippolyte Bayard in the same year.
18. The first-time humans took a photo of moon is in the year 1851. The photo of the dark side of moon was taken in 1959.
19. We generally use photo for the word photograph. But, did you know who used the word photo first? It was Queen Victoria. She wrote the word for the first time in a letter she wrote in 1860. What about megapixel? It was used for the first time in 1984.
20. It was in the year 1988 that humans took first ever digital photograph.
Photography Fun Facts: 21-25
21. Color photography plates were first produced by the firm, Lumiere in 1904.
22. As per stats, only 2 out of 10 photos taken by digital cameras are printed on paper.
23. Digital photography saved lives of many people. Earlier, chemicals like silver nitrate, mercury, lye etc. were used to develop the photographs. Exposure for long hours was dangerous and sometimes lead to madness or even death of the poor photographers.
24. ImagePro was a software created by Knoll brothers in 1987. Adobe bought it and created the famous Photoshop. Its first version was released on 19th February, 1990.
25. The first ever description of camera can be dated back to 4th or 5th The description was that of a pinhole camera.
Photography Fun Facts: 26-30
26. First photo of tornado was taken in South Dakota on 28 August, 1884.
27. Kodak designed the first camera of the company “Apple”. Its name was Apple Quicktake. It was released in the year 1994.
28. Gustav Le Gray was the one who came up with the idea of HDR photography. He used two negatives – a sky’s negative and a sea’s negative which had a longer exposure than the sky. He then merged the two in positive.
29. Anatol Joseph – a Russian, invented photo booth in New York in 1925.
30. Adolphe Braun was the person to take the first ever fashion photo in 1856. French were the ones who invented fashion photography. Le Mode Practique was the first fashion magazine in the world.