Mahamrityunjaya mantra is a name that every devotee of Lord Shiva has heard of. Many actually chant this mantra on a daily basis more as a ritualistic routine. But there are several questions like:
- How old is the Mahamrityunjaya mantra?
- Who is the creator of this mantra?
- What is the significance of this mantra?
- What is the story behind this mantra?
- What are the other names of this mantra?
In this article of Mahamrityunjaya mantra facts we will explore the answers to these questions. So let us begin with the facts. We may be wrong at places. If you find anything wrong, feel free to inform us the same through the comments section of this post or use our email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mahamrityunjaya Mantra Facts: 1-10
1. The first question that appears to mind is, how old is this mantra. The exact date for the creation of this mantra cannot be told. However, we do know that it is very ancient and was written down in Rigveda.
2. The mantra can be found in Mandala 7 of Hymn 59 present in Rigveda. Usually, Maharshi Vashishta is attributed with this mantra because he was the author of Mandala 7.
3. For those who are not aware of who Maharshi Vashishta was, here are some quick facts: He was one of the 7 Maharshis known as Saptarishis.
4. Maharshi Vashishta was the son of Mitra Varuna and Urvasi. It is said that Maharshi Vashishta was in possession of Kamdhenu – a divine cow known for granting any wish to its owner.
5. Though Mahamrityunjaya mantra is attributed to Maharshi Vashishta, the creator of the mantra was Rishi Markandeya. This is where the actual story of the mantra is hidden.
6. It is said that Rishi Mrikandu and his wife Marudmati did not have any children. So, they started praying to Lord Shiva. After a long penance they finally managed to make Lord Shiva happy.
7. Lord Shiva finally appeared before them and agreed on giving them a boon of a son. However, Lord Shiva gave them a condition. The son will either be very intelligent but have a short lifespan or, the son will have a long lifespan but will not be very intelligent.
8. Rishi Mrikandu and his wife decided to go for the first option and Lord Shiva blessed them with a son who was named as Markandeya. However, Lord Shiva said that the child will live only for 16 years.
9. Markandeya was never aware of the truth of his birth and the future that awaited him. He was however a staunch devotee of Lord Shiva. Gradually as Markandeya started approaching the age of 16, his father and mother became worried.
10. When Markandeya started approaching the age of 16, his parents became extremely depressed. He then insisted on knowing the reason and finally his parents revealed the truth and the future which was not far.