Kolkata, the City of Joy has different faces. It is not just about fish-lovers and roshogollas and Durga Puja. The city has much more to offer. It is a confluence of culture and enterprise, history and achievements, literature and arts, science and technology. Unfortunately, to some extent, these lovely aspects of Kolkata are gradually getting lost somewhere between dirty politics and reluctance of political parties to accept new developments on an ongoing basis. Since we are not interested in politics, let us take a look at 30 little known and interesting Kolkata facts that do make us proud to be a Calcuttan.
Interesting Kolkata Facts: 1-10
1. The Khidderpore port in Kolkata is India’s only riverine port and also the oldest port in the country. The Metropolitan Museum in New York has a replica of this port which represents the whole of Asian Cities Sector.
2. Kolkata Book Fair is world’s 3rd largest books conglomeration. London Book Fair and Frankfurt Book Fair take the 2nd and the 1st positions respectively. In terms of non-trade book fair, Kolkata Book Fair is world’s largest.
3. Kolkata Book Fair is the largest in Asia. In terms of attendance, it beats the entire world.
4. Located in Ho Chi Min Sarani, the US Consulate of Kolkata is world’s second oldest established by US State Department. It was established in 1792 on November 19.
5. Kolkata’s Birla Planetarium is world’s second largest and Asia’s largest.
6. Kolkata’s Botanical Garden boasts the world’s largest tree, measured in terms of area covered. It is the massive banyan tree that spans over an area of 330+ meters of circumference.
7. India’s only city to have hand-pulled rickshaws is Kolkata.
8. This city is also the only city in whole of India as well as whole of South Asia to boast trams.
9. In the entire world, Kolkata takes the 8th position in terms of world’s largest agglomerations.
10. In terms of total number of seats, the famed cricket stadium, Eden Gardens in Kolkata is the world’s 3rd largest.