Garlic Fun Facts: 21-25
21. Nepal’s Deepak Sharma Bajagain holds the world record of eating most number of garlic cloves in a single minute. He at 34 cloves. He achieved the record in 2009 on December 1.
22. In the book ‘Dracula’ authored by Bram Stoker, garlic has been mentioned 21 times. In all works of Shakespeare taken together, garlic has been mentioned only 4 times!
23. During WWII, garlic was given a nickname. Can you guess it? Okay, here is the name: “Russian Penicillin”.
24. Where did the name “Russian Penicillin” come from? During WWII, Russian soldiers ran out of penicillin and they literally started using crushed garlic in place of the medicine. That practice earned garlic its moniker.
25. Cultivation of garlic started some 4,000 years ago, making it one of the oldest and first herbs to be cultivated by humans.
Garlic Fun Facts: 26-30
26. As a food flavoring agent, the use of garlic dates as far back as 7,000 BCE. Archaeological findings reveal that it was pretty much in use during the Neolithic times.
27. Did you know that garlic is consider both a vegetable and a herb?
28. In Stockholm, Sweden, there is a restaurant called ‘Garlic and Shots’. Specialty of the restaurant? Everything you find on the menu has garlic as an ingredient and that includes even the desserts! Yes, they offer garlic ice cream and garlic cheesecake.
29. Your rose garden has an aphid infestation? Here is a quick remedy: “crush a few cloves of garlic, mix it with water and spray on the plants and flower”. That’s all! Infestation will be gone!