My, oh, my! What a strange food garlic is! Did you know that it originated in Asia but its name comes Anglo-Saxon? That’s strange but not really strange enough! In this article on garlic fun facts, we are going to look into 30 really fun facts about this amazing food that nature has to offer to whole of humanity (and some animals too)! So, let’s begin…
Garlic Fun Facts: 1-5
1. Did you know that King James Bible mentions garlic only once in the Book of Numbers 11:5?
2. There are some people who are really afraid of garlic. This is basically a phobia and there is a technical term for it. It is called ‘Alliumphobia’.
3. Did you know that brides in ancient Greece didn’t carry flower bouquets? Well, you guess it almost right! Their bouquets consisted of garlic but not just garlic! The bouquets also had other herbs!
4. ‘Chicagaoua’ is a Native American word for a variant of wild garlic. It is this word from where the name Chicago has been derived!
5. Keep you dogs and cats away from garlic. It is toxic for them!
Garlic Fun Facts: 6-10
6. Garlic originated in Central Asia however, its name is derived from two Anglo-Saxon words. Those two words are ‘Gar’ and ‘Lac’. Gar means spear and Lac means plant. These two words are believed to be the source of garlic’s name simply because its leaves are spear-shaped.
7. At around 46 billion pounds a year, China leads the world in terms of garlic production. 2/3rd of world’s garlic is produced in China!
8. In USA, there is something called National Garlic Day. It is celebrated on April 19 every year.
9. Don’t like the garlic smell on your fingers? There’s a simple trick to get rid of it. Place your fingers underneath cold running water, grab a stainless steel object and rub your fingers with it. Voila! The smell will be gone.
10. In whole of USA, California is the largest garlic producer, accounting for 90% of total garlic production of America.