So far we have learned 40 facts about carrots broken down into two articles. First one was all serious while the second one was about carrot fun facts. What we didn’t learn in either of the two articles is about the benefits of carrots. So, in this article, we will focus on that. This set of 30 carrot trivia will not only cover the health benefits of carrots but will also cover some details about the vegetable’s characteristics. Sounds good? Let’s start with benefits of carrots.
Carrot Trivia: 1-5 | Health Benefits of Carrots
1. [highlight]One of the foremost health benefits of carrots is that it helps to prevent cancer[/highlight]. Carrots are rich is what is known as carotenoids. Carotenoids are known for preventing cell overgrowth in body and thereby provide effective defense against a wide array of cancers like breast cancer, prostate cancer, stomach cancer, colon cancer etc.
2. [highlight]If you are suffering from high blood pressure, start considering carrots as your new pals[/highlight]. Studies have proven that carrots increase the flow of blood in heart and reduces bad cholesterol levels. These two factors combined, carrots essentially help in lowering blood pressure and thereby mitigate chances of heart attack as well as various cardiac ailments.
3. Macular degeneration is a serious problem related to aging. Simply put with age, eyesight decreases. [highlight]Carrots help to reduce macular degeneration and hence help to maintain good eyesight[/highlight].
4. If you happen to be deficient in Vitamin A, you are most likely having troubles with night vision. This is where carrots can help. Rich in β-carotene. This substance in carrot is converted into Vitamin A in our body. Carrots are very rich in β-carotene (pronounced as beta-carotene) and hence, good for Vitamin-A deficient people. So, [highlight]carrots actually help to improve night vision[/highlight].
: If you are not suffering from Vitamin A deficiency, eating loads of carrots is not going to give you the eyesight of a cat (we mean, capable of seeing things in pitch darkness). No, β-carotene doesn’t work that way. It helps in improving the deteriorated night vision but doesn’t scale it up to super-human levels.
5. [highlight]Carrots have been found to help in increasing saliva production[/highlight]. Saliva is vital for our oral health. It helps to prevent microbes and other foreign things that can harm our teeth and gums alike. Eating carrots will help to prevent gum problems, halitosis and cavities. So, [highlight]eat carrots to keep oral problems at bay[/highlight].
Carrot Trivia: 6-10 | Health Benefits of Carrots
6. [highlight]If you happen to be a diabetic, make carrot your best friend. Why so? This veggie is known for regulating sugar levels in blood[/highlight]. And… there is something called Insulin Resistance. The higher the insulin resistance of body, the greater is the problem for diabetic patients. [highlight]Carotenoids in carrots have an inverse relationship with insulin resistance[/highlight]. This means, if carotenoids increase in body, the body will less insulin resistant and hence, better utilization of sugar in blood and hence, less blood sugar levels. So? That’s good for diabetics!
7. [highlight]Carrots have dietary fiber content. This means, carrots can help you with digestion[/highlight]. This veggie has also been found to regulate gastric juice secretion and hence, regulating the whole digestive process. In addition, carrots also in peristaltic motion stimulation, thereby helping in building a robust digestive system.
8. [highlight]Carrots are very rich in Vitamin A[/highlight]. They also have good quantities of Vitamin B-Complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin K. All these vitamins are known for [highlight]improving the overall immune system of our body[/highlight]. The stronger our immune system is, the better resistance we have against various types of ailments.
9. Do you know what antioxidants are? They are nutrients that help in prevention of cancer, helps to slow down aging, helps to prevent hear diseases and more. [highlight]Carrots are really really rich in antioxidants[/highlight]. Some of the commonest antioxidants that are present in carrots are α-carotene (alpha-carotene), β-carotene, lutein, caffeic acid, coumaric acid, ferulic acid, cyanidins, malvidins etc. So, [highlight]eat carrots as they help to slow down aging process[/highlight].
10. [highlight]β-carotene is also known for protecting our skin from harmful effects of sun[/highlight]. Harmful sun rays can lead to premature wrinkling of skin, pigmentation, acne, blemishes, uneven skin tone etc. All these can be prevented by eating carrots.