If you have read our last article on stress facts, we must have your attention by now. It goes without saying that you should pay attention to stress management. If you don’t, you might end up with poor health, which will impact the rest of your life. So, if you are interested to know more about how stress can impact you, continue reading this article on stress facts.
Weird Stress Facts: 1-5
1. Did you know that if a person is HIV-infected, high stress can only lead the progression to AIDS faster? People infected with HIV but having low stress will have slower progression to stress.
2. When stress increases, the blood-brain barrier starts allowing chemicals to pass through it. This is not a good thing. Blood-brain barrier is where every harmful chemical and foreign bodies are prevented from affecting the neurons. It is a protective shield for brain neurons. Once chemicals pass through it, brain can be adversely affected. Anything like toxins and viruses and cross the blood-brain barrier under conditions of stress.
3. Intrauterine infections and preterm labor are two very common problems associated with stress.
4. Risk of stress-related disorders developing in fetus increases significantly in women who suffer from chronic stress. Neurobehavioral development and temperament of the fetus can change under such conditions.
5. When stress level increases, more blood is pumped into other parts of the body. Since the blood gets rerouted from head, it leads to severe headaches.
Weird Stress Facts: 6-10
6. If the stress response system of the body gets hyper aroused, the end result is chronic insomnia.
7. Exposure to stress hormones makes the cells in the body shrink. As a result, the cells get disconnected from one another. This is a contributing factor to depression.
8. A child’s brain can physically change because of post-traumatic stress. Stress manages to shrink that part of the brain which is responsible for retrieving memories. That part is known as hippocampus.
9. Compared to women, men are more vulnerable to disorders related to stress. Aggressive behavior, drug and alcohol abuse, hypertension are some examples of such disorders.
10. Hormonal changes can take place because of stress. This can lead to decreased sex response and libido.
Weird Stress Facts: 11-15
11. According BBC reports stress hormones are decreased by penetrative sex. Other forms of sex like oral or masturbation do not have the same effect.
12. Stress cardiomyopathy or Broken Heart Syndrome is usually found in women. The condition develops very rapidly after a sudden or extreme emotional trauma. BHS is nothing but severe weakness of heart muscles.
13. Loud noises can lead to acoustic stress. Acoustic stress leads to a condition known as LQTS or Long QT Syndrome. In simple English, it is a disorder related to the electrical system of the heart. It can lead to death.
14. Nearly 30% of infertility problems are all attributed to stress.
15. Stress can be relieved simply by thinking of stress relief. Things like affirmations, visual fantasies and even positive thinking can help to reduce stress levels.
Weird Stress Facts: 16-20
16. Laughing helps to reduce stress by lowering the levels of various hormones like cortisol, epinephrine and adrenaline.
17. Premature aging is one of the outcomes of excessive stress.
18. Body’s immune system can significantly lose its response ability because of stress. Even a person’s response to various immunizations can be greatly reduced because of stress.
19. Women who are highly stressed have way more suicidal tendencies compared to women in less stress.
20. Baoding balls or the Chinese stress balls were invented during the Ming Dynasty in a place called Baoding. These were iron balls. When held in hand, the Baoding balls touched and massaged the acupuncture points present on palms and thereby helped to relieve stress.