We did three articles on Singapore facts prior to this. They covered a lot of interesting as well as boring facts. From basic information on Singapore to some of the weirdest laws present in the tiny nation, we learned a lot. However, we are not quite done with this tiny nation that is rightly known as the economic giant of whole of Asia. In this article, we will learn about another 20 weird Singapore facts that will simply leave you surprised. Well, this article will not be the end though. Let’s begin…
Weird Singapore Facts: 1-5
1. In whole of Southeast Asia, the Yakult bottles that are sold in Singapore are the largest. They are also the most expensive of all.
2. Apart from the main island, Singapore is made up of another 63 islands but the problem is that most of these islands are not inhabited by humans.
3. Vanda Miss Joaquim is the national flower of the city-state. Did you know who discovered this flower? It was an Armenian by the name Agnes Joaquim. The flower was discovered in 1893.
4. Singapore is the largest exporter in world when it comes to ornamental fish. The country accounts for 25% of world market!
5. Though it sounds a bit weird but it is true. More Singaporeans are born in October compared to any other month.
You May Also Like: 20 Basic Singapore Facts You Should Learn Today
Weird Singapore Facts: 6-10
6. When it comes to number of death sentences given, Singapore is one of the leading countries in world and most of these death sentences are related to drugs.
7. Singapore is often referred to as concrete jungle but that’s funny because nearly 50% of whole of Singapore is covered in vegetation.
8. It is a rule in Singapore that every vehicle that is registered in Singapore should have at least 3/4th of the gas tank full when leaving Singapore. This is to ensure that people don’t cross over to Malaysia and buy cheaper gas.
9. When it comes to rate of home ownership, Singapore leads the world with 92% home ownership. Interestingly, 85% of the Singaporeans actually own a government-subsidized home.
10. There were two soft drinks that were once sold in Singapore. They were named as ‘Anything’ and ‘Whatever’. Both the variants actually offered 6 different flavors. The catch was that the cans were designed to be identical and there was no way one could determine which flavor they would get.
You May Also Like: 20 Random Singapore Facts You Will Enjoy