Though some phobias are funny to hear, one must remember that all phobias have some or the other traumatic experiences or the person has witnessed some terrifying event and is sometimes related to schizophrenia and major clinical depression. Another common thing about phobias is that the individuals suffering from any phobia know that it is an irrational fear that they are having but still they cannot get over it. Let us today learn about 20 weird phobias that will make your jaws drop.
Weird Phobias: 1-5
1. Allodoxaphobia – It is the fear of opinions. The individual with such phobia will do anything and everything just to avoid listening to other people’s opinions. If anyone makes that person sit and starts talking and giving opinions be sure to see that person’s palms get sweaty, his heartbeat increases etc. It would be surprising for many to know that medication is given to the people who suffer from this phobia. Doctors and psychologists believe that this phobia mostly arises when the individual’s opinions are not heard and when he is convinced that he is not good enough for the social setting.
2. Arachibutyrophobia – It is the fear of peanut butter sticking to one’s palette. It may seem funny and hard to believe but people with such phobia do exist in this world. They are not afraid of peanut butter as such but the very thought of peanut butter sticking to the roof of their mouth will send chills down their spines. While some may just be afraid of peanut butter but others show this phobic reaction to anything which is made of peanuts and anything which has peanuts in it. It mostly goes hand in hand with the “Pseudodysphagia” which is a phobia of choking of viscous textures but sometimes only this phobia is present in people.
3. Basophobia or Basiphobia – It is the fear of standing or walking. Now it is weird even to imagine a person having such phobia but it is mostly seen in the people who have met with terrible accidents recently and are dead scared to walk again.
4. Caligynephobia – Everyone loves women (well, if they aren’t misogynists) and absolutely everyone enjoys the company of beautiful women except the people who have this phobia. Yes, your guess is right, Caligynephobia is the fear of beautiful women. It can go to such an extent that the person with such phobia experiences rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath etc., even when watching beautiful women on TV or YouTube etc. It is also called as Venustraphobia.
5. Chrometophobia – Just like the above said phobia, it is hard to believe that this kind of phobia really exists especially in such a materialistic world. It is the fear of money. It is also called as Chrematophobia. Its impact ranges from person to person that is, some people may completely shun to use money in their daily lives whereas some other people may become obsessed with whatever money they have and they are scared of losing it.
Weird Phobias: 6-10
6. Panphobia – Here the person is scared of anything and everything and he is scared about some evil harming him in some way or the other. This phobia too like others stems from past experiences and how the mind perceives things or if the person is of unsound mind. It is also called as Pantophobia.
7. Decidophobia – It is the fear of making decisions. People who have this phobia are extremely scared of making big decisions which includes money or which influences other people’s lives. By avoiding making decisions, over time they become dependent on others. The main causes for developing this kind of phobia are low self-esteem and prior failure as a leader where that person’s decisions led to the failure of the whole group.
8. Dextrophobia – This phobia is really weird. The person suffering from Dextrophobia is afraid if things are placed on his right side. It is not the things that he is scared of but it is just the place where they are kept. This phobia is a tough one to deal with as it has roots in obsessive compulsive personality where a person is excessively obsessed with a thing or a routine that they can go to any extent just to see that it is done the way the want it to be. With their unusual habits and routines, they face mockery and tend to develop social anxiety.
9. Didaskaleinophobia – It is the one of the phobias that is mostly taken granted. It is the fear of going to school. Parents don’t understand that their children are suffering from this particular phobia and pressurize the kids more. However, it doesn’t mean that all kids who refuse to go to school have such phobia but the kids who get panicky, who starts trembling and sometimes faces sleep disturbances are the ones we are talking about. It may be because that they are feeling too low about themselves because of the excessive pressure that is put up on them in school and they don’t feel secured in school, the way they feel at home. It is also called as Scolionophobia.
10. Phagophobia – It is yet another life threatening and weird phobia. It is the fear of swallowing. It is related to another phobia called Sitophobia or Sitiophobia. It is the fear of eating.
Weird Phobias: 11-15
11. Dipsophobia – It is the fear of drinking alcohol. The person who suffers from this phobia can do anything just to avoid drinking and the people who drink. It may arise because they are scared of losing control or because of their religion and upbringing. It takes a toll on family relationships, business and every aspect of social life.
12. Dikephobia – It is the fear of justice. The person fears of doing anything which is illegal. It sounds pretty good but it goes to such a level that even watching crime series or reading novels related to crime make them tremble with fear. It is mostly seen in the people who had a criminal record. It is because of a guilty conscience or when the fear of being falsely accused that this phobia starts in an individual.
13. Philosophobia – This phobia is present in everyone to a small extent. It is the fear of philosophy or philosophers. Just like other phobias, the person experiences shortness of breath, sweating, irregular heartbeat if he comes across any philosopher.
14. Dishabiliophobia – This phobia is found mostly in women but now-a-days it is seen even in young men. It is the fear of undressing themselves in front of someone. It is found mostly in women because the society mostly puts unrealistic demands on the women regarding their body structure. Being obese increases your risk of getting this phobia. Though a woman’s desirable body structure is different for different countries, this is still seen as a global concern.
15. Ergophobia – This phobia is widely spread all over the world. In Greek language, the word “Ergon” means work and Ergophobia is the fear of working. This phobia can stem from various reasons like when an individual faced a humiliating situation at his workplace or a person may be afraid of responsibility and socialization with other people. Having said this, there is another reason for this phobia to develop and that is people simply avoid working. They can stay all day on bed or on the couch and do nothing.
Weird Phobias: 16-20
16. Euphobia – Almost everyone heard the word Euphoric, but in this world, there is something called as Euphobia. It is the fear of hearing good news. It might arise because of prior experiences where the person was expecting something good and cheerful but it turned out to be exactly opposite of what he thought and from then he started to have Euphobia. The people with this phobia tend to function properly when there is chaos and confusion in the environment and get tensed and anxious when they hear any good news. Such people make like-minded friends who share their anxiety.
17. Eleutherophobia – There is nobody in this world who doesn’t like freedom. If this is what you think then you are gravely mistaken. There are people in this world who are scared at the very notion of freedom. They are scared of taking responsibility on their shoulders that they can happily be slaves but not masters of their own will. They need some or the other person to guide them or in fact instruct them for doing even small things. They are suspicious, have a sense of servitude and nauseate at the very thought of freedom.
18. Epistemophobia – It is the fear of acquiring knowledge. The person with Epistemophobia is so scared of gaining knowledge that he can go to any extremes just to avoid learning anything new. This mostly stems from the past experiences, which were awful, one had while learning something new or they are simply scared of the responsibility that they have to share the information that they learn t. they won’t read books or magazines and even shun watching TV or listening to radio just to avoid learning. Ironically, the treatment includes teaching them the simple fact that learning new things is part of our lives.
19. Chronophobia – It is the fear of time passing. It is mostly experienced by prisoners, elderly people but one who has a lot of stress and anxiety can also get this phobia. The ones who have a deadline to meet may also experience Chronophobia. The people with this phobia refuse wearing watches or looking at the time.
20. Phobiophobia – Yes, your guess is right! It is the fear of phobias. It is certainly one of the strangest phobias a person could experience. It is related to many other phobias like Panphobia (fear of everything) and Polyphobia (fear of many things).