In our previous two articles on Singapore facts, we spoke about some basic and some mundane facts about the tiny nation. In this article however, we are going to mention some truly unbelievable Singapore facts you are going to love. So, instead of wasting time, let us begin…
Unbelievable Singapore Facts: 1-5
1. In Singapore, you may end up paying USD 150 as fine if you are caught not flushing the toilet in public urinals. Well, police officers often check. So, watch out!
2. Apart from fines for not flushing in public urinals, there are several things that are offensive and get you into trouble in Singapore. They are:
- Throwing off cigarette butts on the street is banned.
- Spitting on the street is banned.
- Pornography in any form (pictures, videos etc.) are completely banned. However, some magazines such as Cosmopolitan that talk about sex are allowed to be sold but on one condition – ‘Parental Warning’ right on the cover page.
- Walking naked around your own house is forbidden because it is considered as a type of pornography.
- Graffiti art is totally banned. If caught, you will be canned! There’s no escape from it because vandalism of public property is outlawed in this tiny nation.
3. Oh yes, drugs aren’t something you should ignore. Even if you are a tourist and you take drugs right before entering Singapore and you are found guilty by authorities, you can have some serious problems. This doesn’t mean you are allowed to take drugs after entering the country. Remember, for some drug related offenses, it is a mandatory death sentence in Singapore. It is really scary.
4. Did you know that selling of chewing gum in Singapore is completely forbidden. However, it doesn’t mean that you cannot take chewing gums with you to Singapore. You can do that but just make sure that you don’t spit the gum on roads.
5. Talking of gums, you are allowed to chew a few types of medical gums in Singapore if you get a note from a doctor. This was done after Wrigley made a strong petition.
Unbelievable Singapore Facts: 6-10
6. It is illegal in Singapore to have gay sex. Lesbian sex is allowed. Oral sex between male and female or two females was forbidden till 2007 but that ban has been lifted. A man and woman or two women can have anal, vaginal and oral sex. Source
7. Two gay men adopting a child is also totally illegal in Singapore. Also, gay men are required to attend National Service but with very limited duties. Source
8. Coming back to urination, in Singapore, you just cannot urinate in elevators. Well, you shouldn’t do it anywhere but in Singapore, it is a serious offense. To enforce this, the elevators have special devices for detecting urine. Once, the smell is detected by the device, it will set off an alarm and the elevator doors will refuse to open until law enforcement personnel arrive and grab the perpetrator. Source
9. Littering on roads is also a serious offense in Singapore where the culprit can be fined up to USD 1,000 for littering and he or she will be force to pick up the trash in public as humiliation. Source
10. Singapore takes toilets so seriously that the nation actually tabled a UN resolution as a result of which, 19th November is today considered as World Toilet Day. The resolution received support from 122 countries and eventually World Toilet Organization was formed in Singapore on 19th November, 2001. Source
Unbelievable Singapore Facts: 11-15
11. Singapore has some seriously unbelievable rules. For instance, if you want to buy a car, you are allowed to do so but government will not certify it unless you pay an extra 1.5 times the price of the car itself. This is to discourage the usage of cars in the country.
12. Any building in Singapore cannot exceed the height of 280 meters. That’s a law. There are 3 buildings in Singapore that have exactly that height.
13. If you are born as a male in Singapore, you are in serious trouble unless you love military service. By law, every male in Singapore needs to serve 2 years of compulsory military service after they reach 18 years of age.
14. In Singapore, dogs are more revered that cats. If you are driving and you hit a dog and don’t stop for help, you will be committing a crime and you can land in jail. This is not true if it were a cat you hit with your car. Source
15. One of the fantastic punishments that you can get in Singapore for vandalism is caning. Yes, it is very much legal and you can have some hard time sitting after being caned. So, NO VANDALISM. Source
Unbelievable Singapore Facts: 16-20
16. In 1984, a man by the name Ayakanno Marithamuthu was murdered in Orchard Road. He was chopped up into pieces and cooked up as a curry and then packed in a plastic bag and disposed in rubbish bins. Source.
17. In 1967, Singaporean men were engulfed by a mass hysteria when literally hundreds of men thought their penises were shrinking and disappearing and that they will die. They all rushed to hospitals. Nothing was really wrong with those men. Source
18. Benjamin Sheares – Singapore’s second President – is the man responsible for invention of Vaginoplasty – a method of making artificial vagina. Source
19. According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, Singapore is the 16th largest arms importer in world between 2012 and 2016. Source
20. Michael Fay – an American – committed vandalism and theft in Singapore in 1994. Fay was unaware of caning. U.S. officials had to pitch in to reduce the sentence from 6 strokes to 4. Source