In our last article on Magnesium facts we stated that we were not quite done with the element. There are a lot of interesting facts about Magnesium that are still remain untold on this website. So, in this second installment, we are going to share 20 Magnesium random facts that you will not only find interesting but will also find surprising. So, let’s begin…
Magnesium Random Facts: 1-5 | Magnesium in Human Body
1. Magnesium is essential elements required for life. In humans, there are some 300+ enzyme-related biochemical reactions that require Magnesium. These reactions take place in cellular levels. And yes, enzymes cannot function properly without magnesium.
2. Of all the minerals that are found in human body, Magnesium is the 11th most abundant mineral. Magnesium makes up 0.005% of body weight of humans.
3. Anywhere between 4 and 6 tablespoons (both upper and lower boundary included) of Magnesium is found throughout human body. Of this entire amount, only 1% is found in blood. Remaining 99% is found in cells and bones and teeth.
4. Nearly 60% of Magnesium in human body is found in bones and teeth. The element is found in crystal mineral lattice of teeth and bones.
5. Our cells have Magnesium inside them in form of positively charged ions called cations. In terms of intracellular mineral ions, Magnesium cations are 2nd most abundant in our cells. It is present in every cell in our body.
Magnesium Random Facts: 6-10 | Magnesium in Human Body
7. Inside our body, our small intestine is responsible for absorption of Magnesium. The absorption of this mineral starts within 1 hour after we ingest food. Only between 20% and 50% of total Magnesium intake is absorbed by human body.
8. The total Magnesium distribution in our body is:
- 60% in bones and teeth.
- 39% in muscle tissues and soft tissues.
- 1% is extracellular (present in blood).
9. 20% of all intracellular Magnesium found in human body is present in skeletal muscle cells alone!
10. Just how important is Magnesium for us? Well, as we said that it is involved in over 300 biochemical reactions but the true importance of the element can be understood by the fact that if Magnesium intake is not sufficient, DNA synthesis in our body slows down. It helps in stabilizing DNA structures and also helps in repairing DNA damage.
Magnesium Random Facts: 11-15 | Magnesium Trivia
11. Magnesium is a vital mineral even for plants. It is present in each and every single chlorophyll molecule found in a plant and is essential for the process of photosynthesis.
12. Insufficient Magnesium intake in human body can lead to a number of serious health problems including metabolic syndrome, sleep disturbances, osteoporosis, heart disease, diabetes etc.
13. At birth, the amount of Magnesium present in body is 750 mg. By the time an infant grows up to the age of 4 months to 5 months, the amount of Magnesium in the body grows to nearly 5 grams. By the time the child grows into an adult, the Magnesium amount in the body grows to 25 grams.
14. China is world’s largest Magnesium producer, accounting for 80% of world production.
15. There is much more Magnesium beneath the crust of Earth than what is present in the crust of Earth.
Magnesium Random Facts: 16-20 | Magnesium Trivia
16. The two most widely used structural metals are iron and aluminum (in that order). The 3rd position is taken by Magnesium because it is not only light but also strong.
17. In 1600’s the world renowned Epsom spring was discovered in England. The water from this spring was used as blood purifier and for internal remedy. A person called Nehemia Grew extracted Magnesium sulfate from the water of Epsom spring in 1695. That was the origin of Epsom salt.
18. During pregnancy, women can face two common problems called acute myocardial infraction and acute eclampsia. Both these conditions are treated using Magnesium regularly.
19. Grignard reagents are a type of organic Magnesium compounds that are needed in organic chemistry for synthesis reactions.
20. There are various Magnesium compounds that are widely used for medicinal purposes such as Epsom Salts (sulfates of Magnesium), Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium hydroxide), Magnesium citrate, Magnesium chloride etc.
That concludes our list of Magnesium random facts. In case you want to add a few more, feel free to drop comments.