Mother Nature seems to always have something to keep us surprised. Every time we gaze with awe at something, some other creation of her comes right in front of our eyes to surprise us. While there is no shortage of ‘ugly’ on land, the true treasures are revealed in the unfathomable depths of deep oceans. Once such surprise is the Pacific Blackdragon – a type of fish that doesn’t really look like one. Let us waste time no further and learn 20 interesting Pacific Blackdragon facts.
Interesting Pacific Blackdragon Facts: 1-10
1. Found in southern hemisphere, the Pacific Blackdragon lives in temperate and subtropical waters.
2. They are found in Pacific Ocean and hence the name.
3. They are deep sea creatures and are usually found at the depths of 6,562 feet or 2,000 meters from the ocean surface.
4. Though they lurk in such great depths, they still occasional swim up close to the surface while following preys like small crustaceans or small fish.
5. This fish species is known for its unusual traits. For instance, the species is sexually dimorphic. This means that the males and females are extremely different from each other not just in their looks, but also in aspects like feeding habits and lifespan.
6. The females are dominant when it comes to lifespan. Males are known to live only long enough for mating. Once they mate, the males die but females continue to live.
7. Females have fang-like teeth and chin barrels. These features are absent in males.
8. Females grow up to a length of up to 60 centimeters. In contrast, males grow up to 5 centimeters in length.
9. Females have functional guts and they use their fang-like teeth to capture prey. The males on the other hand don’t even have a functional gut.
10. Lack of teeth and gut in males mean that they don’t eat. They just grow and live until they mate. Once they mate, they die.