Before we start with our article on mango facts, we will like to ask you a question. Do you love mangoes? The reason why we are asking this question is that we have never come across a person who hates mangoes. We will like to meet one and know the reason for such hatred. Anyway, we don’t want to deviate from our purpose. Let us start with our list of 20 interesting mango facts.
Interesting Mango Facts: 1-10
1. King of all fruits – that is how mango is known all over the world.
2. Did you know that mangoes come from the same family of flowering plants to which the poison ivy belongs? Yes, poison ivy and pistachio tree are from the same flowering plants family. It is the Anachardiaceae family, which also includes Jamaican plum and cashew.
3. Mangkay – a Tamil word is from where the name mango has been derived. The name was distorted to ‘manga’ by Portuguese traders who settled in western regions of India.
4. Did you know that mango tree stands for love? Yes, it symbolizes love!
5. The places where mango first originated are:
- East India
- Andaman Islands that border Bay of Bengal
6. Africa and Middle East received mangoes from the Persians who carried the fruit there.
7. From Africa and Middle East, the fruit was taken to West Indies and Brazil by Portuguese.
8. In the US, the mango arrived in 19th century. The first place was Florida where the cultivators of mango introduced the fruit in 1830s. The next place was California where mango entered in 1880s.
9. This brings up the question, “when did mangoes first originate?” Mangoes were in cultivation in South Asia (East India, Burma, Andaman Islands) for thousands of years.
10. East Asia received mango somewhere in 4th and 5th century BCE. East Africa received it in 10th century CE.