Imagine a person without lips…What does he or she look like? Ridiculously silly, right? Now imagine how that person would look while trying to eat, speak, whistle or kiss. Funny! Well, that says it all! Lips are important and we cannot think of a human without lips. So, let us today learn 20 interesting lip facts and find out what makes them so unique and important.
Interesting Lip Facts: 1-5
1. Did you know that lips are one of the most sensitive organs in human body? They have more than a million nerve endings but they do not have any kind of defensive membrane for protection.
2. Did you know that lips do not sweat? That’s because lips do not possess sweat glands. Well, sweat glands play a crucial role of moisturizing the skin and since, lips don’t have sweat glands they dry out faster than any other part of the body.
3. Did you know that lips are unique like fingerprints? You will never find to individuals with identical lip impressions.
4. Did you know that lips are the only part of the body where the inside extends outside? Put in simpler words, the same mucus membrane that forms the inner lining of the mouth also makes the lips.
5. Did you know that our lips appear red-pink because we can actually see the blood capillaries that lie under the mucus membrane? Yes! The mucus membrane is pretty transparent. What causes this transparency? The skin on lips has only 3 to 6 layers of cells compared to 16 layers found in other parts of the skin. This makes the skin pretty transparent.
Interesting Lip Facts: 6-10
6. Did you know that lips also lack natural protective oil? No sweat glands and no oil equates to vulnerability. This implies that lips are highly exposed to cold, wind and sun. The only way to protect the lips from these natural elements is to use some kind of lip balm. For women, lipsticks work equally well.
7. Lip cancer is more prevalent in men than in women. This is because men usually don’t use lip balms and using lipsticks is simply out of question for men. Women on the other hand usually use lipsticks that keep their lips protected from harmful UV rays of Sun.
8. Did you know that your lips grow thinner as you grow old? This happens because with aging, the collagen production of body decreases. Collagen is a vital protein and one of its functions is to give shape to the lips. Reduced production of collagen implies that lips start losing their plumpness.
9. Lips are composed of a complex of muscles known as orbicularis oris. This muscle complex also encircle the mouth. In order to pucker up either for playing a trumpet or for whistling or (our favorite) kissing, the orbicularis oris needs to be contracted.
10. When it comes to attracting opposite sex, women with big lips get more success. The opposite is however not always true. Women are often found to prefer men with lips of medium size.
Interesting Lip Facts: 11-15
11. Humans possess a fleshy bump on their upper lips. This is known as the ‘labia tubercle’.
12. Did you know that the junction where mouth’s surrounding skin meets the lips is known as Vermilion Border? The Vermilion Border of the upper lip goes by a separate name which is known as Cupid’s bow.
13. Stuart Brody, a Scottish psychologist, found that women with prominent labia tubercle are more capable of achieving vaginal orgasm!
14. Have you ever imagined kissing without lips? That’s literally impossible but, more interesting is the fact that kissing has a more important function of selecting a mate. Scientists say that lip locking allows people to sniff the pheromones of the opposite sex allowing an exchange of biological information (that mostly we don’t really understand and are perhaps processed in the background by the brain).
15. Did you know that the primary reason for the lips and mouth of women being veiled in many cultures is that they have a representative association with vulva and also because their mouth and lips act as secondary sexual organs?
Interesting Lip Facts: 16-20
16. Texas-based anthropologist named Dr. Vaughn Bryant says that before the conquests of the 1500’s kissing was actually extremely restricted in Europe and Southeast Asia. According to Dr. Bryant, no one in the entire new world kissed. He says that it was India where kissing started and then it was spread by Alexander the Great’s soldiers who carried the kissing custom to their home.
17. Sociologists from France conducted a study where it was found that women with redder lips become more attractive to males. They found that waitresses wearing red lipsticks received more tips from men than those waitresses who did not wear red lipsticks. Reason for this? According to experts, red lipsticks make women’s lips look similar to labia of vagina!
18. Lips are mediums for expressing emotions visually. For instance, a frown is represented by the lips in form of a down-open parabolic curve while a smile is represented by an up-open parabolic curve. Similarly, if lips are made perky, it means provocative while lips made pouty means whining.
19. A woman’s fertility is visually expressed by her lips! Research says that during development and puberty, the hormonal makeup in women determine their sexual and facial attractiveness. Studies suggest that the youthful and childlike facial structure of women during puberty and final stages of maturation are determined by the estrogen levels in women. The greater the level of this hormone, the fuller are the lips and bigger are the eyes which are considered to be more feminine.
20. Because of numerous nerve ending they possess, lips are extremely sensitive to touch or tactile senses. This is why toddlers and babies tend to explore new things by touching them with lips.
This completes our list of 20 lip facts. In case you feel like adding to this list, drop us a message.
What Do You Think About The Post?