Cats are cute. They are playful and sometimes, they are absolute jerks. But, we still love them and adorn our homes as beloved pets. Their signature ‘purrs’ often make us feel comfortable when we are sad. Their soft fur takes away our stress. So, if you happen to be a cat person, here are 20 interesting cat facts that you will find quite interesting. A warning though! You may just frown after learning a few facts because they are in no way comforting for cat lovers.
Interesting Cat Facts: 1-10
1. Cats are often caught rubbing themselves against humans. That’s not because they want some food or are looking for a nice warm hug. By doing so, they mark the humans as their territory.
2. Cats are capable of producing 100 different types of sounds. Compared to that, our beloved dogs can produce only 10!
3. Cats and humans share the same biological design of brain. Both have exactly identical brain regions for emotions.
4. Male cats are mostly left pawed while females are right pawed.
5. Cat skins are often used for making coats. Nearly 24 cat skins are required for manufacturing one coat.
6. Here is the most disturbing fact – in Asia, 4 million cats are eaten every year! Yes, humans eat cats and you can find this a widely common practice in China.
7. Not just Asia, eating cats and even dogs is practiced is many other countries and that includes United States of America. Here are the nine countries that eat cats (and also dogs):
- The Arctic
- French Polynesia
- United States of America (Hawaii)
8. There is a technical term for the hairball of cats. The term is ‘bezoar’.
9. Unlike humans and dogs, cats maintain a steady level head while chasing prey. Humans and dogs are known for bobbing their heads up and down.
10. Cats don’t have sweet tooth. This simply means, cats don’t really nurture a great liking for food items that are sweet. Dogs however love sweets. Scientists say that cats don’t have a sweet tooth because a particular taste receptor in cats underwent mutation.