There is no shortage of curses in the very world we live in. The Billy Goat curse is just one of them and like all other curses that we have wrote about before, this curse too gives that eerie feeling because of line of events that followed after the curse was spelled out. So, let us not waste any further time and take a look into the whole story. Let us remind you that we are not here to validate or refute the authenticity of any curse. We leave that job to you. You are welcome to express your ideas through the comments section once you go through this list of 20 interesting Billy Goat curse facts. Are you ready?
Interesting Billy Goat Facts: 1-10
1. Unlike all other curses that we have discussed earlier, the Billy Goat curse is not really associated with life and death. It is actually a sport-related curse that doomed an entire team.
2. The Billy Goat curse or the curse of Billy Goat was spelled out on the famed baseball team – the Chicago Cubs in the year 1945.
3. One great fan of Chicago Cubs by the name Billy Sianis went to see the 1945 match between Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.
4. Sainis, who owned the Billy Goat Tavern did not go alone to watch the match. He went there with his pet goat but unfortunately, the odor of the goat was not really acceptable to the other fans who were there to enjoy the match.
5. As a result of the goat’s odor, Billy Sianis was asked to leave along with his got and this infuriated Sianis. The result was that he immediately cursed Chicago Cubs stating “Them Cubs, they ain’tgonna win no more”.
6. There are various versions of the curse’s interpretation. Some people say that Sianis actually said that no other World Series games will ever be played that the Wrigley Field.
7. Some other choose to believe that the curse was cast on the Chicago Cubs that they will never appear in any World Series game and that no venue was specifically mentioned.
8. The family of Sianis however says that Sianis actually sent a telegram to Philip K Wrigley – the then owner of the team and that the telegram read: “You are going to lose this World Series and you are never going to win another World Series again. You are never going to win a World Series again because you insulted my goat.” There is however no proof that Sianis actually sent a telegram.
9. There is absolutely no way to validate the truth of what had been told and in what sense but one thing that has managed to freak out people is that the curse appeared to be true and effective. In 1945, Chicago Cubs lost the World Series despite having a lead during the initial stages.
10. For the next 20 years that followed, i.e. for the time during which Sianis was alive, the Cubs developed a pattern of finishing either at 5th position or lower during each season and the whole team earned the title ‘The Loveable Losers’. Winning a World Series became more like a far-fetched dream. The last time the Cubs won a World Series was in 1908.