Okay, in this article of banana facts, we are going to walk you through some of the most amazing information about bananas. It is very likely that you already know some of these facts but be rest assured, many of the facts about bananas mentioned in this article will take you by surprise. So, without further ado, let us begin with our list of 20 interesting banana facts.
Interesting Banana Facts: 1-5
1. Bananas are seriously healthy for your heart. In case you are not aware, bananas are very rich in a mineral called potassium. It is an electrolyte that our body requires to keep electrical impulses flowing through the body. Without electrical impulses, our heart will not operate. So, eat bananas for a happy and healthy heart.
2. While on one hand bananas are rich in potassium, they are actually low on sodium content. Is that bad? Not really. High potassium and low sodium content helps to reduce risk of high blood pressure – a potentially deadly cardiovascular disease.
3. Here is a bummer. Bananas are naturally radioactive. The potassium found in bananas is present as potassium-40 isotope. That is a radioactive version of the element. Funny though, this radioactive potassium in bananas do not harm our body.
4. If you are having troubles sleeping, eat bananas. They are rich in vitamin B6 that naturally helps a person to sleep.
5. If your muscles are causing trouble and too stressed out, go for bananas! They have magnesium – a natural muscle relaxant. When muscles relax, body slips into sleeping mode. Happy sleeping!
Interesting Banana Facts: 6-10
6. Feeling blue and depressed? Nom nom! Eat bananas. They will help elevate your mood because they are rich in tryptophan. This tryptophan is processed by the body and converted into serotonin – a neurotransmitter that helps to elevate mood. So, get yellow for your blues!
7. Bananas are low on calcium but still good for your bone health (unlike milk which is high on calcium but is super unhealthy for bones). The reason is a bit complex but here is a simple explanation – bananas have fructooligosaccharides. It is actually a carbohydrate that our body cannot digest but it is known for encouraging probiotics that in turn increases the ability of our body to absorb calcium. Additionally, there is magnesium in bananas that also helps to absorb calcium.
8. Okay, carrots are amazing for your eyes but hey, bananas are good too! They have vitamin A in small amounts. Vitamin A improves night vision and maintains normal vision.
9. Not just that, the vitamin A is actually an element found in proteins in our body that is responsible for bringing light straight to our corneas. Moreover, there is a compound present in vitamin A which is responsible for preserving the membranes that sit around our eyes. So remember, bananas for eye health!
10. Got potty issues? Well, in case you are not regular, consider eating bananas because they are really high on fiber and help to regularize your bowel movements.