We have done articles on some insane facts, fun facts and bizarre facts about Thailand. We did however miss out on the random Thailand facts that are good to increase your knowledge. In this article, we will cover those remaining Thailand trivia so that you can polish your existing knowledge about the country and make your knowledge more profound. So, let’s begin…
Random Thailand Facts: 1-5
1. Thailand has four international borders. The countries with which Thailand shares borders are:
- Myanmar (which was previously known as Burma) to the north as well as west.
- Laos sits to Thailand’s north as well as east.
- To the southeast is Cambodia.
- Malaysia is one the south of Thailand.
2. In terms of size, Thailand is the 51st largest country in world. If we are to compare it with United States of America, Thailand is a tad larger than Wyoming. The overall area covered by Thailand is 198,115 square miles.
3. Of the total population of Thailand, 14% are Chinese people, 75% are Thai and remaining 11% are of other origins.
4. In Thailand, nuclear families are pretty rare. Extended large families are very common in the nation.
5. Dense hardwood forests once entirely covered the northern parts of Thailand. This is the story of some 100 years before present. However, deforestation at high rate has now left only 1/4th of the forest standing.
You May Also Like: 20 Interesting Thailand Facts You Might Like
Random Thailand Facts: 6-10
6. In Southeast Asia, Thailand stands in second position in terms of total forest loss. The country that beats Thailand in this area is Singapore.
7. To prevent further loss of forests in Thailand, the Thai government has completely banned logging.
8. It is not unusual to see traffic police in Bangkok wearing a face mask. The reason for is that Bangkok has extremely high levels of air pollution.
9. Police stations in Bangkok are stuffed with oxygen tanks just in case officers get overwhelmed by exhaust fumes.
10. It is really serious that every police officer in Bangkok has some kind of lung disease because of the pollution in the city.
You May Also Like: 20 Thailand Fun Facts You Should Read Right Now
Random Thailand Facts: 11-15
11. Talking of Bangkok, it is the capital city of Thailand and is also the largest city. Guess what? The city receives around 16,000,000 visitors (non-residents) every year. Talk of Thai people, the city is home to 10% of total Thai population.
12. Muay Thai – a style of martial arts is the national sport of Thailand. However, Muay Thai is sport-class martial art. There are two other forms – Muay Chaiya and Muay Boran. Both of these are deadly martial arts and are not categorized as sport-class.
13. The country has a total of 1,430 islands at its disposal. The most famous island is Koh Phi Phi Lee. The film was featured in the film called ‘The Beach’. It was a movie by Danny Boyle.
14. The Great Buddha is the 9th tallest statue of world and tallest statue of Thailand. Thailand is home to the highest stupa in the world and is known as Phra Pathom Chedi.
15. Those who like to party, the Koh Phangan island is where they should be. It is known for hosting some of the liveliest Full Moon Parties but there are versions of Black Moon and Half Moon as well.
You May Also Like: 20 Bizarre Thailand Facts Everyone Should Know
Random Thailand Facts: 16-20
16. Thailand is the home to 1/10th of all animal species that live on this planet. It is also home to nearly 10% of all bird species that are found in the world. North America and Europe combined do not have that many birds.
17. There is a type of bird called Swiftlet bird. The male bird of this species uses its saliva strands to make nests known as Swiftlet nests. They can be found in caves of Thailand and are sold for USD 900+ per pound. Why? Because these nests are among world’s most expensive and coveted food items.
18. During 1960s and 1970s, Northern Thailand became one of world’s major opium producers and the hill tribes there derived their income from opium production. As of today, Thailand’s northern tip, Laos’ western tip and Myanmar’s eastern corner make up the notorious ‘Golden Triangle’. That’s the place for heroin and opium production and trafficking.
19. Thailand’s national epic is Ramakien. It is actually a Thai version of Ramayana – the Indian Epic.
20. Thailand used to be world’s top rice exporter but in 2015, the nation lost that position to India.
You May Also Like: 20 Awesome India Facts You Shouldn’t Miss
Fun Thailand Trivia:
The term ‘Siamese Twins’ was inspired by brothers Eng Bunker and Chang Bunker of Thailand. The twins were joined at the chest. They died at the same time in 1873. The term Siamese Twins has however now been replaced by the term ‘Conjoined Twins’.
- The coastline of Thailand is 3219 kilometers long.
- Thailand follows Constitutional Monarchy.
- Muay Thai is also known as the ‘Art of Eight Limbs’.
- When it comes to child sex trafficking, Thailand has one of the worst records in the whole world.
That concludes our random Thailand facts list. In case you think we have missed some important ones, feel free to drop the information in the comments section below. We will add them to this list.