Many people have many things to say about Kim Jong Il. But, residents of North Korea see him as a dominating political leader with a considerably long political career. If you want to know a little more about him, here are the top 20 facts about Kim Jong Il worth mentioning:
More Facts About Kim Jong Il: 1-5
1. Kim’s father was the former president of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
2. His father also commanded the troop of the Soviet 88th Brigade, which was comprised of Chinese and Korean exiles.
3. Some officials also claim that Kim Jong Il belonged to a family of nationalists who were very much active in the protest against the imperialism from the Japanese.
4. Because of having an interest in the mechanics, Kim Jong took classes in automotive repairs.
5. He completed his graduation from the Namsan Higher Middle School in 1960.
More Facts About Kim Jong Il: 6-10
6. Kim didn’t waste any time as he joined politics soon after his graduation. He enrolled in the Kim Il Sung University, where he took Marxist political economy as the major and philosophy and military science as the minor.
7. His education life was quite versatile. During his days at the University, he trained in a textile machine factory and joined classes for building TV broadcast equipment simultaneously.
8. During his early education years, he also joined his father on tours of field guidance in different North Korea’s provinces.
9. He started his political career quite early. He joined politics formally on September 1964.
10. The year 1964 saw political unrest as different communist countries were having a power struggle during that time. It was Kim Jong’s responsibility to ensure his party didn’t deviate from the ideology set by his father.
More Facts About Kim Jong Il: 11-15
11. To strengthen party’s control over the military service, Kim Jong took major military reforms and didn’t hesitate to expel any disloyal official.
12. He was also known to have affection for fine arts.
13. According to his biography, Kim composed six operas.
14. In the beginning of his career, he was first appointed in the Guidance Department in the WPK.
15. Within two years of time, in 1966, he was able to move his position equivalent to the rank of rank in the Propaganda and Agitation Department.
More Facts About Kim Jong Il: 16-20
16. In 1969, he got further promotion and he was appointed to the deputy director of the department.
17. It was the year 1970 when he got another elevation in the position and was appointed as the in charge of culture and arts.
18. After the death of his father, Kim Il Sung, Kim officially took control of the whole country in 1994. The transition of power from father to son was first in the history of the nation. At that time, Kim Jong Il preferred to be honored with the title of chairman of the National Defense Commission and the general secretary of the Workers’ Party.
19. In 2003, Kim Jong and his administration admitted to having a direct relation with the nuclear weapon production for security purpose.
20. Kim Jong died on December 17, 2011 due to having a severe heart condition.