Before we start with our list of awesome India facts, we will like to say something…
Mark Twain once said…
India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
That pretty much says everything. No matter how much the western world tries to demean India just to claim Christianity is best, the truth is that the followers of that doctrine-based religion are now realizing gradually that all they have been taught about faith and God is just a big mess. No wonder, thousands and thousands of people are now either converting to Hinduism or are simply following the Hindu way of life. And that’s not forced on them as Islam or Christianity does. That’s their choice.
Okay, we are deviating. The bottom line here is that India was always enlightened before the west was even born and India will always remain so long after the west crumbles down to dust. We Indians are proud of our nation. Good or bad, it belongs to us and we accept our bads the same way we are proud of our goods.
In this article we will look at some of the most incredibly awesome India facts (some of which will be definitely bad but awesome in their own way) and learn a little more about this incredible nation. Ready?
Awesome India Facts: 1-5
1. Let’s start with a bad one. India is often portrayed as the Rape Capital of world. That means, women in India (Indian women or women from foreign lands) are not supposed to be safe. They can be raped anytime any where. It also means, India has highest rape rate in whole world. This is what is being portrayed by the western nations to demean India. The truth is far from what is being said.
Here is a screenshot of rape statistics for 2010 from the website NationMaster.com:
And here is another screenshot from the same page:
So now it is time to tell, ‘Is India really the rape capital of world?’ We Indians protest rape in way no other country does. We come to the forefront, walk the streets and demand justice unlike the western world who just decline to show their true and ugly faces! See, we have every reason to be proud.
You May Also Like: 20 Jaw Dropping India Facts
2. The largest gathering of humans in a single place takes place in India every twelve years at the famous Kumbh Mela. In 2013, an estimated number 120 million pilgrims attended the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad with 30 million on 10th February alone! Then there is Maha Kumbh Mela that happens every 144 years and the image of pilgrim gathering was captured by Ikonos Satellite of Space Imaging.
3. After USA, India has world’s second-largest English speaking population. Guess what? 10% of Indian population makes that possible. India is poised to world’s largest English speaking nation very soon.
4. India has world’s largest vegetarian population – either by choice or because of religious reasons. Either way, India leads the world.
5. In 2014 India defeated the European Union when it comes to milk production, becoming world’s largest milk producer.
Awesome India Facts: 6-10
6. India was the first country in the world which came up with the knowledge of extracting sugar and purifying the same. Other countries received that knowledge from us.
7. India has no national language. However, English is considered as one of the several official languages acceptable in India. The other languages include Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, Manipuri, Nepali, Gujarati, Oriya, Konkani, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Marathi, Malyalam, Kannada, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi and Urdu.
8. Guinness Book of World Record says that India takes 3rd rank in world when it comes to claiming new records every single year. The first one is USA and the second one is UK.
9. Though we call Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi as Father of Nation, he is not. Indian Constitution never allows giving such titles to anyone. So technically, Gandhi is not the Father of Nation. He and Nehru might be called as the architects of India but, a broken India – a legacy we are not particularly proud of.
10. Most likely people are fully unaware of this but India is a member of IIHF or International Ice Hockey Federation and there is an official Ice Hockey team from India.
Awesome India Facts: 11-15
11. In India, there are many laws to protect women but they are pretty unfair as there are no laws that protect men. For instance, there is a law in India where a man can be imprisoned for 5 years for having intercourse with a married woman without the consent of that woman’s husband. However, the woman will not be punished for this. That’s very unfair.
12. In India, a person will be committing a crime if he or she doesn’t take care of his or her parents after they become old and retire.
13. Contrary to the popular belief that Punjab is India’s highest-liquor-consuming state, the truth is that the spot is actually taken by Kerala.
14. There is a massive tax hole in India. Only 3% of Indian population actually pays taxes! This is because of the following reasons – agriculture is exempted from taxation, majority of Indian workforce work in informal sector, there are millions of people living in rural areas etc. Collecting taxes from them is not really as simple as baking a cake.
15. India actually has a spa for elephants only. Yes! Elephants are pampered there like anything and they go through exotic spa treatments. The spa is called Punnathoor Cotta Elephant Yard Rejuvenation Centre. It is located in Kerala.
Awesome India Facts: 16-20
16. The world’s only floating post office is located in India. The exact location is Srinagar’s Dal Lake. It stays open from 10 in the morning to 6 in the evening. During tourist seasons, the post office remains open even on Sundays.
17. How big is your family? Not big enough to beat the one that lives in Mizoram. One man with 39 wives and 94 children and also 33 grandchildren out of 14 daughter-in-laws lives in India. That’s the largest family in world living together. Head for Baktwang village in Mizoram to see the family.
18. In Gujarat, there is Gir Forest where the Asiatic Lions live. That forest is home to Mahant Bharatdas Darshandas. He lives alone in the forest and he is a regular voter. Only one important or perhaps crazy thing here is that the Election Commission actually sets up a polling booth near his house every time there is an election. He has been voting since 2004 and he is the only voter there!
19. 15 million people attending a funeral definitely makes it the largest funeral attendance in history of mankind. This happened in India in 1969 when CN Annadurai – the former CM of Tamil Nadu passed away. He was one of the most beloved CMs in history of Tamil Nadu. He rejected Hindi and made Tamil the state language and was also a great speaker and writer.
20. Combine pilgrims of Mecca and Vatican City. The total number you get is less that the number of pilgrims that visit Kashi Vishwanath Temple and Tirupati Balaji Temple in India.