Pregnancy! Isn’t it a wonderful feeling? The ability to give birth, the ability to create life – that’s something amazing! Well, while the whole experience of becoming pregnant and then a mother is actually magical, there are some seriously weird and sometimes frightening and icky facts. In this article on weird pregnancy facts, we are going to share a few of them with you. Brace yourselves for some serious surprises.
Weird Pregnancy Facts: 1-5
1. You can cause contractions in a pregnant woman (third trimester) by simply rolling or rubbing her nipples. By rubbing or rolling nipples, a hormone called Oxytocin is released and that starts contractions. This method of producing contractions is the only scientifically proven way for legally starting a labor. This method is called as “the comfort technique”
2. On an average, the gestation period lasts for about 9 months but longest known gestation period recorded is for 1 year and 10 days.
3. The taller and overweight the woman is, higher are the chances for her to carry multiples.
4. Male fetus get erections when they are in womb. In fact, both the sexes get aroused but the male ones are only caught on sonogram.
5. Becoming a mother seems really wonderful but just the thought of getting stitches near your vagina can make you wary of pregnancy. Sometimes the vaginal stitches go till anus and beyond.
Weird Pregnancy Facts: 6-10
6. Another creepy thing about pregnancy is that during labor you just poop because of 2 reasons. The first reason is the muscles which are used in contractions during labor are also used when you attend the nature’s calls. The second reason is when the fetus pushes, the weight falls on the rectum and you have to expel poop.
7. In olden days, the midwives used to give enemas to women before labor but that too did very little from saving women from embarrassment.
8. Women really glow when they are pregnant. The blood in your body increases nearly by 50% and adding to this, the hormones make the oil glands more active giving that amazing shine and softness to your skin.
9. With your blood volume increasing your heart also increases in size and it beats harder and faster. Isn’t it amazing?
10. During pregnancy, a woman’s ability to smell and taste increases to a great extent because of estrogen and human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG). Many scientists believe that this increased ability to smell and taste are to keep mothers away from toxins which are not harmful to the adults but may become fatal to the fetus.
Weird Pregnancy Facts: 11-15
11. If you think that contractions stop once you deliver the baby, then you need to think again. Contractions take place even after the delivery and can go on for days together. It is body’s way of stopping the excess blood from oozing out.
12. Most of the people suggest pregnant women to eat more or double of what they used to eat for a healthy baby. But a pregnant woman needs only 300 calories extra in her meal to keep the baby healthy. What one must make sure is that women eat nutritious food with lots of vegetables and fruits.
13. It seems surprising that a man whose wife is pregnant may show pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness, muscle cramps in lower abdomen, increase in weight etc. This is called Sympathetic Pregnancy or Couvade Syndrome.
14. One of the scariest things about pregnancy is that when a woman delivers her first baby her pelvic bone gets separated. Not broken but separated. ‘Not broken’ doesn’t mean that it will get attached again later. It remains so all her life.
15. People often think that when a woman is once already pregnant, they can have sex without contraceptives but, on very rare occasions it is seen that women who are pregnant, can get pregnant again with different due dates! How worse can this get?