The succulent and tasty oranges are not just known for their taste. They are amazing when it comes to health benefits for humans. From heart to eyes, from skin to gut – this fruit can play God if eaten in moderation. In this article on orange facts, we will learn 15 facts, all related to health benefits. In case you are looking for general facts about oranges, follow this link. We are pretty sure that after reading this facts-sheet, you will start loving oranges even more. So, let’s get started, shall we?
Orange Facts: 1-5
1. Oranges are healthy. The have high amount of vitamin C and vitamin A and minerals like calcium, potassium and dietary fiber.
2. Inclusion of orange in our diet improves our immunity. It not only fights with the viruses and other microorganisms which enter our body on a daily basis but also helps in reducing the risk of getting cancer and heart diseases by killing free radicals.
3. They can also help in making your skin wrinkle-free. They help in keeping your skin young and protecting your skin from sun, dust and pollution. Oranges play a key role in collagen formation and helps in enhancing overall skin texture.
4. Guess what? They are good for your heart too! They contain vitamin C, fiber, potassium, choline and folate which all give a big boost to your heart. Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart beating. By eating oranges, you can lower your blood pressure and keeping heart diseases at bay.
5. It is seen that it lowers bad cholesterol or LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol. They are a boon for diabetics. For type 1 diabetic patients, it helps in lowering blood sugar levels whereas for type 2 patients, it is seen that it increases blood sugar, lipid and insulin level.
Orange Facts: 6-10
6. The list of orange’s health benefits just goes on and on. They aid in digestion and help in controlling weight because of the dietary fiber present in them. They are also good for your vision. It has high amounts of vitamin A and compounds like lutein, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin which help in preventing vision problems, which arise due to old age. Vitamin A helps in absorbing light and improves night vision. Vitamin C delays cataracts and macular degeneration.
7. Risk of colon cancer can be reduced by eating oranges (because of vitamin C and dietary fiber known as Pectin). This Pectin protects the mucus membrane of the colon by reducing the time of exposure to toxic substances and binding of cancer causing substances. It also prevents the absorption of cholesterol in colon by binding to bile acids in the colon.
8. It is seen that eating oranges and bananas after the first two years of birth reduce childhood leukemia. It reduces inflammation because it has loads of antioxidants. By oxidizing, it helps in decreasing burns.
9. The orange juice is a proven remedy for acid indigestion. Though orange juice itself is acidic it turns alkaline in your stomach and thereby cures your acid indigestion.
10. It is not just the oranges that will keep you fit and fine but even its peel will do so! The peel of an orange is used as a natural medicine to fight depression, anxiety, blood pressure, respiratory problems and bad breath. It helps in preventing constipation and just like oranges, it is good for your heart!
Orange Facts: 11-15
11. Though oranges don’t have iron in huge amounts but vitamin C and citric acid helps in absorption of iron when eaten with an iron-rich food and thereby prevents anemia.
12. Oranges helps body in absorbing other vitamins, nutrients and minerals etc. Medicines are not easily digested and absorbed by the body and especially vitamin D. If it is not properly absorbed stones may be formed. While on medication if you consume oranges, it works as an excellent absorbent.
13. Having said that, it doesn’t mean that you eat nothing but oranges. All these benefits can be reaped only if they are eaten with moderation. If you eat more of oranges, you would be inviting hell lot of health problems for yourself! The extra dietary fiber effects digestion by causing abdominal cramps and even diarrhea.
14. As the fruit contains a lot of acid, consuming too many oranges will lead to heartburn, especially to the people who suffer from heartburn and GERD. An excess of vitamin C may lead to a number of problems like nausea, heartburn, vomiting, bloating, cramps, insomnia, headaches etc. So, eat in moderation to be happy and healthy.
15. Because of its antioxidants, oranges and its peel find their way in cosmetic industry too. They are added in cosmetics as they are skin-friendly and have anti-wrinkle properties. They are used in manufacturing hair conditioners too.