Talk of world’s most ruthless serial killers and the first name that pops up is the Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos. No other killer in this world matches the deeds of this man whose victims were none other than young boys. Girls were pretty much safe from the wrath of this killer. So, let us not waste time any further and learn 15 interesting Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos facts.
Interesting Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos Facts: 1-5
1. Better known as “La Bestia” or “The Beast”, Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos was one of the most ruthless serial killers of all times with 139 confirmed/proven murders but he confessed of 147 murders.
2. Apart from the proven and confessed numbers, it is believed that this man was responsible for more than 300 murders based on the maps he drew while in prison.
3. Local media dubbed this man as the ‘world’s worst serial killer’ because of the sheer number of his victims.
4. Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos is also known by different other names which include ‘Tribilin’, ‘El Cura’ and ‘El Loco’. Garavito was also known by the name ‘Bonifacio Morera Lizcano’.
5. His victims were only boys between the age group 8 and 16. The victims were usually street children, peasant children and other poor children.
You May Also Like: Dark and Twisted Serial Killers Quiz
Interesting Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos Facts: 6-10
6. Garavito used to gain their trust by offering those children some gifts or money and then took them for a long walk. Once the children became tired, he would molest and rape those kids and then murder them.
7. Garavito used to either cut his victims’ throats or stab them with screwdrivers or knives and then dismember their bodies. Investigation of several corpses showed signs of prolonged torture.
8. Garavito was eventually captured in 1999 on April 22 and was sentenced for 30 years of prison. He was charged with 172 killings and he was found guilty of 139 while the remaining are ongoing.
9. During his imprisonment, Garavito helped police to find the bodies of his victims. This along with his confessions allowed him to win a reduction in sentence by 8 years, thereby making the effective sentence 22 years.
10. Garavito’s good behavior in jail may have actually earned him even earlier release but the very possibility of this happening sparked public criticism.
Interesting Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos Facts: 11-15
11. Colombians started feeling that 22 years of imprisonment is not enough for Garavito’s crimes and that he should be either get life imprisonment or death penalty.
12. Colombian law does not have life imprisonment or death penalty options and the possibility of serial killings was completely ignored in Colombian law. However, with increased public unrest, the law was revisited and the maximum sentence for murder was increased to 60 years of imprisonment.
13. With confirmed murders, the total sentence for Garavito comes to 1,853 years and 9 days (139 multiplied by maximum sentence for murder allowed by Colombian law) but because of the limitations of the Colombian law, his total punishment stands to 60 years of imprisonment.
14. Luis Alfredo Garavito Cubillos was born in Génova, Quindío, Colombia on January 25, 1957. He was the eldest of the 7 siblings.
15. His father used to beat him up and he was sexually abused by two neighboring males. Garavito studied in school only for 5 years and at the age of 16 he left home and started working. He kept changing jobs and moved from one town to another and committed murders almost everywhere he went. Because he frequently changed towns, his job and even his appearance, especially hairdo, which made it difficult for police to trace him.