Rewind a century back or fast forward a century ahead of today, no matter where you stand and talk of the most notorious edible fruits known to mankind, you will always find Durian on the list. This super stinky fruit will remind you of a hedgehog at the very first glance. Take one sniff of this fruit and you will start thinking – “why the hell was I born for this day?” So, let us learn 15 interesting Durian facts and find out why, despite its disgusting smell, it is still called the king of all fruits.
Interesting Durian Facts: 1-8
1. Durian has a green or yellowish-green spiky skin which will immediately remind you of a hedgehog at the very first sight. However, contrasting its very unfriendly exterior, the fruit has a very inviting succulent, juicy and bright yellow interior.
2. Though the interior is extremely inviting as far as sight is concerned, when it comes to sense of smell, the olfactory senses will immediately cry out for help with a single whiff of the fruit. It is super stinky and smells like… um… we don’t know… may be rotten gym socks or probably something even worse!
3. This 1-foot-long and 6-inches-wide fruit is native to Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia. Some people consider it to be native to even Philippines but there is some controversy regarding this. Southeast Asian often call it as ‘King of Fruits’ despite its filthy smell.
4. The fruit has earned its moniker because of the numerous health benefits it has to offer. One of the first benefits that comes to mind is its ability to quickly replenish energy. Very rich in carbohydrates, 100 grams of Durian is capable of offering 21% daily carb requirements and enhances the energy levels quickly.
5. Those suffering with unhappy sex life can turn to this fruit because of its ability to enhance libido. Recent studies show that Durian has the ability to increase sperm mobility and reduce infertility chances in both men and women.
6. Durian has been found to be a rich source of folic acid which is necessary for the development of red blood cells. The high folate concentrates of Durian along with its rich iron and copper content helps to improve health conditions of anemic patients.
7. Those who are diabetic can enjoy this fruit if they are able to withstand the smell. Durian is rich in manganese which helps to regulate the blood sugar level and bring it down to the desired level.
8. Durian is perfect for those who want to lower their bad cholesterol. This fruit has absolutely zero cholesterol and has high concentration of monosaturated fats which are known for fighting bad cholesterol and keeping cardiovascular diseases at bay.