Call it a hearty meal or devil’s supper – slurping down the still-beating cobra heart with a glass full of cobra blood is a super-specialty culinary delight of Vietnam. Hell yes!
That’s one of the most exotic dishes you can put your hands on to and trust us, the balut of Philippines is nowhere even close in competition. Let us learn 15 interesting beating cobra heart dish facts covering its preparation and reason for such brutal and devil act.
Interesting Beating Cobra Heart Dish Facts: 1-8
1. The first question that pops up is ‘why?’ Well, Vietnamese people consider that consuming a beating cobra heart enhances virility in males.
2. Having answered the ‘why’, it is time to pick up, ‘how?’ So, how is the doomed cobra prepped up? Cobra heart dishes are pretty popular in Vietnam and is readily available in many restaurants. Visitors get to select the cobra from the whole lot of captives.
3. It is always suggested not to go for the longer one but for the shorter and thicker one with a hell lot of attitude. Remember, it is all about virility!
4. Once the visitors seal the fates of the doomed cobras, a couple of waiters – who are experts in handling the venomous serpents – will arrive with quite a massive knife, a funnel, a couple of empty bottles and a bottle of rice wine.
5. Just a heads up, the rice wine is pretty potent and hence, accepting all that’s being offered is never a good idea.
6. Coming back to the preparation part, the doomed cobra is played with and then its neck is broken and the waiters pretty skillfully locate the heart and make an incision with the knife and drain out the blood in an empty bottle.
7. The heart is then cut off and is dropped in a small glass. The glass is then filled with a concoction of rice wine and the snake blood. Voila! Enjoy your drink! Slurp down the still-beating heart with the bloody concoction! EMBRACE the virility!
8. Hey wait! It’s not done yet! The game just started! The waiters move further down along the snake and cut open its body, pouring down a dull-green bile in another empty bottle. This bile gives out a very strong smell and is not meant to be wasted.
Interesting Beating Cobra Heart Dish Facts: 9-15
9. The smell of the bile may just make it unappetizing but the Vietnamese know a work around. They will mix it with the potent rice wine in a glass and you are ready to go.
10. If you think the adrenaline rush ends here, you are wrong! The venom of the doomed cobra is still waiting to reach your gut.
11. The head is chopped off and the venom is poured in yet another glass and this time, there is no mixing of rice wine. It is supposed to go down as is through your throat, through your esophagus and all the way down to your stomach.
12. Is it going to kill you? Definitely not! The venom will kill you only if it is administered intravenously. When you drink it, the stomach processes it just fine and breaks it down to harmless components. But, be cautious on this one! In case there are any cuts in your mouth, your fate will be doomed!
13. With the venom’s safe journey to your gut, the thrilling part of the exotic dish is over. It is time for the main course where every single part of the cobra is processed and served.
14. Barbecue snake, snake spring rolls, snake soup and deep-fried snake skin are the dishes that follow and they are really yum! The snake meat tastes pretty much like chicken.
15. Why leave the spine out? That’s rich in calcium! Yes, the spine too is fried to perfection and served whole on a plate. Just munch on it and give your bones a little calcium-lift! Ladies, did you read this one?
Don’t be surprised if somewhere the still-beating heart of the cobra is served with a concoction of cobra blood and cobra venom or if somewhere the heart is served separate and you are asked to chew it and gulp it down before you drink the blood or the venom. There may be restaurants where you will be asked to bite off the heart from the unfortunate snake’s body and feel the throbbing at its best. It is all about adrenaline rush and we know that the devil in you is all geared up for it!
What Do You Think About The Post?