Not much is known about this petite yet close relative of Tyrannosaurus Rex. The Alectrosaurus was an Asian dinosaur and apparently, it was quite rare. In this article on Alectrosaurus facts, we are going to learn whatever is known about this dinosaur. Before we start, let us take a look at the classification:
|Binomial Name||Alectrosaurus olseni|
Now that we have the classification in hand, let us take quick look at the overview of Alectrosaurus:
Lived: Nearly 83 million years ago to 74 million years ago
Historical Period: Late Cretaceous | Era: Mesozoic
Diet: Carnivore and preyed mainly on ornithischians like Gilmoreosaurus and Bactrosaurus
Size: Nearly 5 meters or 16.4 feet
Weight: Fully grown adults weighed around 1 ton
Let us begin with the Alectrosaurus facts.
Interesting Alectrosaurus Facts: 1-5 | Name, Naming, Pronunciation
1. The genus name ‘Alectrosaurus’ actually means “Alone Lizard” or “Unmarried Lizard”. The name has been derived from two Greek words – alektros and sauros.
2. The first specimen of the Alectrosaurus was discovered by George Olsen and hence, the species has been named as A. olseni to honor the discoverer.
3. It was Charles Gilmore – an American paleontologist – who named and described both the genus and species in year 1933.
4. So far, A. olseni is the only known species of the Alectrosaurus genus, which is basically a tyrannosaurid theropod dinosaur.
5. Alectrosaurus is pronounced as al-Eck-trow-Saw-rus. A. olseni is the only known species of the genus Alectrosaurus.
Interesting Alectrosaurus Facts: 6-10 | Physical Characteristics
6. Being a tyrannosaurid theropod, it was a carnivore dinosaur. It was a medium sized dinosaur that dwelt on ground.
7. With a look very similar to Tyrannosaurus Rex, the Alectrosaurus boasted similar proportions as that of T. Rex. It had a large skull, large hind legs, tiny, really tiny forearms, and extremely sharp serrated teeth filled up the jaws.
8. As far as its size was concerned, it was really a small one. Measuring only 5 meters in length and 2 meters is height, the Alectrosaurus was actually a pygmy version of T. Rex.
9. It wasn’t heavy either! The Alectrosaurus weighed anywhere between half ton to 1 ton.
10. One of the unique features is that the dinosaur had a wishbone, which was thought to be present only in birds. However, later other dinosaur remains were found where wishbone was found.
Interesting Alectrosaurus Facts: 11-15 | Discovery History
11. American Museum of Natural History sent out the Third Asiatic Expedition to find dinosaur remains in year 1923. Walter W. Granger headed the expedition as chief paleontologist. The team was looking for fossils in Mongolia.
12. George Olsen found a holotype on April 25 that year. It was just a nearly complete right hindlimb. Only May 4, Olsen once again found another holotype just lying 30 meters away from the first find.
13. Both these finds came from Iren Dabasu Formation located in today’s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region belonging to People’s Republic of China.
14. Ever since then, several other specimen of the Alectrosaurus have been discovered in various other parts such as Batken in Kyrgyzstan, Sughd Province in Tajikistan etc.
15. Till now, no complete specimen has been found but whatever was found was good enough for the scientists to reconstruct the physical appearance of the Alectrosaurus.
That concludes our list of Alectrosaurus facts. In case we have missed any, feel free to let us know so that we can add them in this article.