Reading is one of the most crucial abilities that aid in personality development. The value of reading to your child cannot be overstated, since the earlier they learn to read, the quicker they can comprehend ideas and concepts and flourish in both academics and social situations.
Reading can help you not only become a better student, but also a better person.
You can learn from the most intelligent individuals anytime and wherever you like.
As crucial as reading is, did you know:
800 million individuals cannot read or write in the world.
Many households (and even schools) lack books for their children to read.
Many children and adults in your town or city certainly fall into this category.
Helping others to read is an excellent gift you can give if you are already a proficient reader. Below are some suggestions for how you can help.
Even if you’ve established a nightly reading routine for your child, there will be days when you’re so exhausted that you’re tempted to skip it.
On those occasions, these reading quotes for kids can inspire you to continue.
“‘Classic’ – a book which people praise and don’t read.” – Mark Twain.
Reading Quotes for Kids 1-20
1. “A book is like a garden, carried in the pocket.” – Chinese Proverb
2. “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.” – C.S. Lewis.
3. “A good book is an event in my life.” – Stendhal.
4. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
5. “A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight.”- Robertson Davies.
6. “An hour spent reading is one stolen from paradise.” – Thomas Wharton
“Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.” – Maya Angelou.
7. “Be awesome! Be a book nut!” – Dr. Seuss
8. “Books allowed me to see a world beyond the front porch of my grandmother’s shotgun house…[and] the power to see possibilities beyond what was allowed at the time.”―Oprah Winfrey
9. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King
10. “Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people – people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book.” – E.B. White
11. “Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.” – James Russell Lowell
12. “Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.” – Jesse Lee Bennett.
13. “Books are the mirrors of the soul.”―Virginia Woolf
14. “Books break the shackles of time – proof that humans can work magic.” – Carl Sagan
15. “Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labelled, ‘This could change your life.’” -Helen Exley.
16. “Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them.” – Neil Gaiman
17. “Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage.” – Roald Dahl
18. “Books train your mind to imagination to think big.” – Taylor Swift
19. “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” – Emilie Buchwald
20. “Each book was a world unto itself, and in it I took refuge.” – Alberto Manguel
Reading Quotes for Kids 21-40
21. “Expand the definition of ‘reading’ to include non-fiction, humor, graphic novels, magazines, action, adventure, and, yes, even websites. It’s the pleasure of reading that counts; the focus will naturally broaden. A boy won’t read shark books forever.” –Jon Scieszka.
22. “Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.” – Dr. Seuss
23. “From an early age, books were my constant companions and my local library, a place I could find a new friend on every shelf.”– Sarah Jessica Parker
24. “From your parents, you learn love and laughter and how to put one foot before the other. But when books are opened, you discover you have wings.” – Helen Hayes.
25. “He that loves reading has everything within his reach.” – William Godwin
26. “I am a part of everything that I have read.” – Theodore Roosevelt
27. “I cannot live without books.” – Thomas Jefferson
28. “I cannot remember the books I have read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson.
29. “I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.” – J.K. Rowling
30. “I feel the need of reading. It is a loss to a man not to have grown up among books.” – Abraham Lincoln
31. “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx.
32. “I had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.” – Bill Gates
33. “I have a passion for teaching kids to become readers, to become comfortable with a book, not daunted. Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage.” – Roald Dahl.
34. “I have challenged myself that I will read thousands of books and I will empower myself with knowledge. Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism.” – Malala Yousafzai
35. “I kept always two books in my pocket, one to read, one to write in.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
36. “I read a book one day and my whole life was changed.” – Orhan Pamuk.
37. “I really had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.” – Bill Gates.
38. “I think it’s the books that you read when you’re young that live with you forever.”—J.K. Rowling
39. “I was reading a book…’history of glue’…I couldn’t put it down.” -Tim Vine.
40. “I wouldn’t be a songwriter if it wasn’t for books that I loved as a kid. I think that when you can escape into a book it trains your imagination to think big and to think that more can exist than what you see.” – Taylor Swift
Reading Quotes for Kids 41-60
41. “I’m old-fashioned and think that reading books is the most glorious pastime that humankind has yet devised.” – Wisława Szymborska
42. “If there’s a book you really want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” -Toni Morrison.
43. “If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books.” – Roald Dahl
44. “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” – Albert Einstein
45. “In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” – Mortimer J. Adler.
46. “It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own.” – Arthur Conan Doyle
47. “It is better to read a little and ponder a lot than to read a lot and ponder a little.” -Dennis Parsons Burkitt.
48. “It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading. Something that will stretch their imaginations. Something that will help them make sense of their own lives and encourage them to reach out toward people whose lives are quite different from their own.” – Katherine Patterson.
49. “It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.” – S.I. Hayakawa
50. “Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won’t have as much censorship because we won’t have as much fear.” – Judy Blume
51. “Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them.” – Judy Blume
52. “Let’s be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading.” – Lena Dunham.
53. “Luckily, I always travel with a book, just in case I have to wait in line for Santa, or some such inconvenience.” – David Levithan
54. “Make it a rule never to give a child a book you would not read yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw.
55. “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket.
56. “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.” — C.S. Lewis
57. “No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. — Lady Montagu
58. “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.” – Harry S. Truman.
59. “Oh, magic hour, when a child first knows she can read printed words!” — Betty Smith
60. “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” – Frederick Douglas
Reading Quotes for Kids 61-80
61. “Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx
62. “People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned.” – Saul Bellow.
63. “People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.” – Logan Pearsall Smith.
64. “Readers are lucky – they will never be bored or lonely.”– Natalie Babbitt
65. “Reading for me, is spending time with a friend.” – Gary Paulsen
66. “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” – Mason Cooley.
67. “Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
68. “Reading is important because if you can read, you can learn anything about everything and everything about anything.” – Tomie dePaola
69. “Reading is the gateway for children that makes all other learning possible.” – Barack Obama
70. “Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.” – Diane Duane.
71. “Reading should not be presented to children as a chore, a duty. It should be offered as a gift.” – Kate DiCamillo.
72. “Reading takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere. -Hazel Rochman.
73. “Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.” – Edmund Burke
74. “Reading, for me, is spending time with a friend.” – Gary Paulsen
75. “So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall.” – Roald Dahl.
76. “Some books leave us free and some books make us free.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
77. “Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.” -Cornelia Funk.
78. “The man who does not read good books is no better than the man who can’t.” – Mark Twain
79. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
80. “The only way to do all the things you’d like to do is to read.” – Tom Clancy
Reading Quotes for Kids 81-105
81. “The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest (people) of the past centuries.” – Descartes
82. “The things I want to know are in books. My best friend is the man who’ll get me a book I [haven’t] read.” – Abraham Lincoln
83. “The whole world opened up to me when I learned to read” – Mary McCleod Bethune.
84. “The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.”-James Bryce.
85. “There are many little ways to enlarge your world. Love of books is the best of all.” – Jacqueline Kennedy
86. “There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book.” – Marcel Proust.
87. “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.” – Ray Bradbury
88. “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” – Walt Disney
89. “There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” – Frank Serafini
90. “There’s something good in every book, but sometimes you just have to look for it.” –Anonymous.
91. “Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz.
92. “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” – Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
93. “To read is to voyage through time.” – Carl Sagan
94. “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller
95. “Wear the old coat and buy the new book.” – Austin Phelps
96. “When you learn to read you will be born again…and you will never be quite so alone again.” – Rumer Godden
97. “When you sell a man a book you don’t sell just 12 ounces of paper and ink and glue – you sell him a whole new life.” – Christopher Morley.
98. “Wherever I go, bookstores are still the closest thing to a town square.”―Gloria Steinem
99. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax all you need is a book!” – Dr. Seuss
100. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – C.S. Lewis.
101. “You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.” – Ray Bradbury.
102. “You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” -Paul Sweeney.
103. “You may have tangible wealth untold. Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you can never be — I had a mother who read to me.” – Strickland Gillilan
104. One must be an inventor to read well. There is then creative reading as well as creative writing. – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
105. “Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere.” – Mary Schmich