For starters, skin is responsible for protecting our inner organs and it also carries out a number of bodily functions that help us to maintain a healthy life. But that’s not all! There is much more to know about skin and this article on 50 interesting skin facts intends to provide you with some really fascinating information about this unique organ in our body.
Interesting Human Skin Facts: 1-10
1. Skin is actually an organ. In fact, it is the largest organ in our body.
2. Just like every other organ in our body, the skin also has a set of very specialized functions that no other organ can perform.
3. The skin helps to regulate body temperature by detecting cold and hot.
4. It is reponsible for keeping our internal organs, muscles and bones protected from outside diseases and infections.
5. Our skin is blessed with the ability to renew itself. The entire skin is renewed in 28 days.
6. In order to renew itself, the skin needs to shed dead cells. It does so at the rate of 30,000 to 40,000 dead cells per minute.
7. An average human sheds 9 pounds of dead skin cells in one year!
8. The skin of any average human has nearly 300 million cells. There are nearly 19 million cells per square inch of skin.
9. Every square inch of skin also holds up to 300 sweat glands.
10. An average adult human has about 21 square feet of skin. The entire skin weighs 9 lbs (pounds).