If someone says that the brain is the most fascinating organ in human body, it will be kind of an insult to other organs like heart, kidneys, liver etc. But still, our brain is what makes us unique. If any other life form on earth gets a brain with same capabilities as our brain, we will no longer be the most advanced life form on earth. Do you agree? You should! Can you ever point out a cow or a dog building Burj Khalifa? Can you ever point out a cat or giraffe digging up and studying dinosaur fossils? These questions can be answered with one word – ‘NO’! So, because our brain is unique, it is time that we learn 45 interesting facts about human brain. Are you ready?
Interesting Facts About Human Brain: 1-5
1. Our brain is one hell of a greedy organ in our entire body. Why? It weighs a mere 3 pounds and yet consumes nearly 25% of the energy supply that our body gets throughout the day!
2. Human brain consists of 100 billion neurons and 1.1 trillion cells.
3. The minimum or the lowest speed at which information travels across brain is nearly 260 miles an hour.
4. Do you know how many atoms are present in our observable universe? It is approximately between 1078 and 1082. That’s quite an amount right? For a typical human brain, that number is nothing. Why? Because, human brain is capable of wiring itself in 10 to the power of 1 million different ways. So, how big is that? Place one million zeros after 10! Stephen Hawking may call it finite but for us, that’s infinite.
5. Approximately 75% of human brain is made of water but interestingly, if water is sent into brain from an external source, it won’t survive.
Interesting Facts About Human Brain: 6-10
6. Do you know how much amount of information is stored in National Archives of Britain? Around 70 terabytes covering 900 years of history. A human brain can have a storage capacity of anywhere between 3 terabytes and 1,000 terabytes.
7. Normally we would think that our brain is far more active during day because it needs to process numerous information. Actually, that’s not true. Scientists have found out that brain is far more active when a person sleeps during night! Scientists don’t yet have an explanation for this but that’s a weird fact about brain!
8. Scientists say that people with higher IQ dream more. Does that mean that if a person cannot remember a dream, he or she is mentally lacking? Not really! Even for people with very high IQ, dreams are really difficult to recall because most people forget 50% of their dreams in first 5 minutes after waking and 90% of the dream within 10 minutes.
9. Dreams are black and white for nearly 12% of people.
10. Why do people don’t act out of their dreams? That’s because when a person sleeps, the brain releases a hormone which virtually paralyzes the person.
Interesting Facts About Human Brain: 11-15
11. Human brain is responsible for processing pain. So, if you cut your hand or you hurt yourself in some way or the other, you will feel pain. However, it brain itself is incapable of experiencing pain. Why? That’s because brain does not pain receptors. So, why does your head hurt? That’s because your brain is surrounded by loads of tissues, blood vessels and nerves that have a load pain receptors!
12. There was a time when it was believed by the scientific community that neural tissues in brain are incapable of regenerations. That’s not true! Neurons in human brain keep growing throughout the lifespan of an individual. In other words, neurons keep regenerating.
13. Nearly 20% of the entire oxygen that enters our body is consumed by brain. Thus, the brain takes maximum hit in case of oxygen deprivation.
14. The brain is not really a gray and firm mass. It is jelly-like, pink and squishy matter. This is because of the high water content of the brain.
15. Can you name the fattiest organ in your entire body? It is the brain, 60% of which is made of fat! Huh?