Interesting Stephen Hawking Facts: 31-35
31. In 1963, shortly before Hawking was diagnosed with the Lou Gehrig’s disease or ALS, he met his would-be wife at a New Year Party. Her name was Jane Wilde. She was an undergraduate student of languages.
32. The two got married in 1965 after Hawking was diagnosed with the disease. Two years after their marriage, Jane gave birth to Robert in 1967 – the couple’s first son.
33. Three years later in 1970, the couple had a girl child called Lucy. In 1979 came the third child called Timothy. Interestingly, Hawking continued to father children long after he had already lost his ability to speak intelligibly and to walk.
34. In 1990 Hawking left Jane for Elaine Mason. Elaine was one of Hawking’s nurses. Elaine and Hawking married in 1995. This second marriage of Hawking strained his relationship with his children with his first wife. The children actually blamed Elaine for cutting off all relationships with their father.
35. Other nurses who took care of Hawking actually reported in 2003 that Elaine actually physically abused Hawking. Police investigation started and Hawking denied such allegations.
Interesting Stephen Hawking Facts: 36-40
36. In 2006 however, Hawking and Elaine eventually filed for divorce and they separated. This is when Hawking once again grew close to his previous family. Hawking quickly reconciled with his previous wife Jane who had been with him through years.
37. After the reconciliation, Hawking grew really close to his daughter Lucy. The two together authored several children’s novels with science theme. Total number of novels they coauthored were 5.
38. British Monarchy offered Knighthood to Stephen Hawking however, he declined the same. It is because of this, he has always been kept off the Birthday Honours List of Queen forever. Source
39. Once, Hawking had the opportunity of dining with Hydrogen Bomb pioneer – Edward Teller. During the dinner, Hawking actually told ‘He [Edward Teller] is Stupid’ using his speech synthesiser and didn’t even bother to turn down the volume. Source
40. Immortality Drive – a large memory device containing digitized DNA sequence of Stephen Hawking, Lance Armstrong, Stephen Colbert and various other people – is orbiting the Earth. It is meant to preserve human DNA in case of a global cataclysm destroying life on Earth. Source