Interesting Stephen Hawking Facts: 21-25
21. When people were considering removing the life support of Hawking in 1985, his then wife – Jane – completely discarded the idea and gave a go for an operation known as tracheotomy. The operation was successful and allowed Hawking to breathe. However, the unexpected side effect of the operation was that he completely lost his speech. It was this operation that led to the development of his famous speech synthesiser.
22. Stephen Hawking always wanted to write a book that would connect easily with the public and would tell them about the mysteries that the universe holds. However, after his 1985 operation where he even lost the ability to speak (he lost the ability to write long time back), the work not only looked daunting but also impossible.
23. Hawking didn’t really give up. He used his speech synthesiser and with aid of several of his students and his US-based editor with whom he spoke over a speaker-phone, Hawking eventually authored the book titled ‘A Brief History of Time’.
24. The book was published in 1988 and it eventually went on to become best seller on London Sunday Times list for 237 weeks in a row! It was this book that catapulted Stephen Hawking to fame on world stage.
25. A Brief History of Time has sold millions of copies worldwide and not only that, it has also been translated in well over 40 different languages.
Interesting Stephen Hawking Facts: 26-30
26. While ‘A Brief History of Time’ was definitely his first book, Hawking didn’t really stop there. He went on to author and co-author several other book. In total he has 15 book under his belt that are either completely authored by him or have a co-author.
27. The first book that he wrote was intended to be simple. However, it was not really that simple for general populace. This is why he came up with the next book called ‘The Universe in a Nutshell’. This book had an illustrated guide of various big theories of cosmology. This book was published in 2001.
28. In 2005, Hawking came up with yet another book titled, ‘The Briefer History of Time’. This book was further simplification from the first two books. This third follow up book simplified the core concepts even more and even gave some knowledge on the latest developments on String Theory.
29. In 2010 came another book from Stephen Hawking. This book was known as ‘The Grand Design’. In this book he went against the very idea that universe was created by God. Interestingly, in all previous works, Hawking actually argued that the idea of God can actually not only coexist but also be compatible with modern theories of science. In ‘The Grand Design’ he went against his own previous theory.
30. In this new book he actually said that Big Bang was nothing more than inevitable consequence of laws of Physics. He argued that because there is gravity, the universe will create itself from just nothing! To quote him, “Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.” In book he actually challenged the belief of Sir Isaac Newton that the universe was created by God.