In this article on Stephen Hawking facts we will look at some of the most bizarre facts about one of the greatest scientific minds of the 21st century. Some of them are plain ‘UNBELIEVABLE’ but again, they are really true. So, instead of wasting time, let us begin…
Interesting Stephen Hawking Facts: 1-5
1. Stephen Hawking literally said this – “Computer Virus is a life form”! Yes, he argued in favor of it, drawing some really good logics. He eventually concluded saying that the only life form that humans have created is a computer virus and it is of totally destructive nature. Source
2. In 1996, he was in Japan to give a lecture on the topic “The Beginning of Time”. He was explicitly asked to not talk about “re-collapse” of universe for the fear that stock markets may be affected. Source
3. In 1975, Stephen Hawking entered a bet with his friend Kip Throne over the existence of Black Hole. Kip won the bet and Hawking bought 1-year subscription to Penthouse magazine. Source
4. In September 2014 Hawking declared openly that he was an atheist. Source
5. Robert Joseph White – a famous American neurosurgeon who was known for performing head transplant on living monkeys – wanted to perform head transplant on actor Christopher Reeve and Physicist Stephen Hawking. Source
Interesting Stephen Hawking Facts: 6-10
6. In 1993, Stephen Hawking’s synthesiser voice was recorded for “Keep Talking” – a song by Pink Floyd. Source
7. In the finals of his three-year degree course at University College, Oxford, Hawking scored marks that was borderline between first-class honours and second-class honours. As a result of this, an oral examination or viva became necessary to determine whether to award him first class or second class. Only after the examiners spoke to him, they realized that they were talking to someone who was far cleverer than themselves and awarded Hawking a first class degree, which was a prerequisite for a graduate study in cosmology from University of Cambridge. Hawking actually wanted to study in Cambridge. Source
8. Stephen Hawking has starred in ‘The Simpsons’, ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ and ‘The Big Bang Theory’.
9. He is currently the ‘17th Lucasian Professor of Mathematics’. It is basically an academic chair is the reputed and prestigious Cambridge University. That position was once held by Sir Isaac Newton from the period 1669 to 1702.
10. The speech synthesiser that Stephen Hawking uses actually has an American accent.