Gold is a wonder element and of course it is a metal. But of all metals, gold is one metal that is not truly indigenous to earth. Isn’t that pretty surprising? Well, today we have an interesting list of 40 gold facts that will make you react — ‘really?’ So, let us together explore some interesting facts about this interesting metal.
Interesting Gold Facts: 1-10
1. We just said that gold is not indigenous to earth. This simply means that whatever gold deposits we find on earth came from outer space. Meteorites that bombarded earth some 200 million years ago brought gold to earth.
2. Scientists believe that there is way more gold and other precious metals present in outer space than on earth and that asteroids are probably great sources of metals like gold, platinum and nickel. In fact, a company named Planetary Resources is planning on mining asteroids, especially the near-earth asteroid named Amun 3554. If they succeed, they will become the richest company on planet earth!
3. Did you know that the greatest gold reserves are in/on ocean beds? Billions of tons of gold are present in/on ocean bed and we don’t have the technology that can be used to mine them out in a cost effective way.
4. Now, if gold is present in ocean bed, it has to be present in ocean water. As a matter of fact, sea and ocean waters have about 20 million tons of gold dissolved in them! But the concentration of gold dissolved in water is too dilute. A liter of sea/ocean water contains no more than 13 billionths of one gram of gold. Again, we don’t have technology that can be used to mine that dissolved gold in a cost-effective way.
5. The total amount of gold present in oceans and sea (both dissolved and in/on ocean and sea bed) is enough to give 9 pounds of the metal to every single person on earth!
6. Gold is one metal that is present in every single continent in world (we mean that gold reserves and gold mines can be found in every single continent in this world).
7. Gold is edible! Yes, you can eat gold and it won’t kill you unless of course you decide to eat too much or just drink hot molten gold! In many Asian countries you will find gold being deliberately put in tea, coffee, jelly snacks and fruits.
8. Gold is naturally present in human body. Yes, you don’t need to eat gold to have gold in your body. It is already present in there. But hey, wait! Don’t just pull out your dagger and chop the first person to cross your sight to get the gold. An average person weighing 70 kilos will not have any more than 0.2 milligrams of gold and that too in a dissolved state.
9. The gold naturally present in human body is responsible for maintaining the joints in our body and also helps to maintain a good health. It is also important for transmitting electrical signals throughout the body.
10. Did you know that no matter where you mine gold, you will invariably find silica? This translates to the fact that even our body contains silica. Just 1.0 milligram of silica is present in human body but its role in human body and metabolism are completely unknown.