In our last article on Neon facts, we learned about the element’s discovery and about its extraction and price. In this article on Neon fun facts, we are going to learn a few more things about the element that are far more interesting. So, without wasting time any further, let us take a quick look into those facts…
Neon Fun Facts: 1-5 | Neon and Stars
1. Neon and stars have a history of billions of years together. Yes, Neon is created inside stars. The question is, which stars produce Neon?
2. Any star that has mass equivalent to 8 times the mass of our very own Sun will produce Neon.
3. Here is something interesting. The element is not produced always. Only during the alpha process, the element is produced.
4. Wonder what an alpha process of a star is? It is basically a process within the star when Oxygen and Helium fuse together through nuclear fusion reaction inside a star. Neon is produced only during this particular process.
5. Stars don’t have electric currents and hence, the Neon produced inside the stars do not glow in bright red-orange color. This is why, even if you look up to a clear night sky and witness millions of stars, you won’t be able to see Neon shining down on you.
Neon Fun Facts: 6-10 | Dangers of Neon
6. Is Neon toxic? No, not at all. Neon is not toxic. However, it doesn’t mean that the gas cannot harm you.
7. Neon is an inert gas and a noble gas. These gases are known as asphyxiation gases. Neon can asphyxiate you.
8. When you inhale Neon in significant quantities, the gas will slowly replace the Oxygen in your blood. As Oxygen levels deplete, you will gradually suffocate. Excessive inhalation of Neon can lead to death by asphyxiation.
9. Another threat from Neon comes in form of frostbite. Yes, Neon can give you frostbites but only in its liquid form. The liquid Neon is extremely cold, colorless and odorless. If your skin comes in contact with liquid Neon, you can get serious frostbites.
10. The container holding liquid Neon can violently rupture if it is exposed to heat or fire for a prolonged period of time. That kind of violent rupturing is seriously dangerous.