So, your are looking for toothbrush facts huh? Well, you are lucky because your search ends right here! In this article of toothbrush facts, we are going to share some awesome facts. You probably didn’t even know about.
Actually toothbrushes have come a long way. They have been around for more than 5000 years. However, the earliest versions were only limited to twigs and leaves. The version of toothbrushes that we use today came long after.
Let us take a look at the toothbrush facts we want to share. Let’s play a game though. Tell us how many of these facts were know to you before you read this article. Be honest!
Interesting and Weird Toothbrush Facts: 1-5
1. Asians were the first to use bristle toothbrush. Specifically the Chinese were the first. Tang Dynasty people (619 CE to 907 CE) were the ones who invented the bristle toothbrush.
2. Europe came in contact with bristle toothbrush way later in 17th century CE. The Chinese travelers brought the toothbrush to Europe.
3. Dentists say us to keep our toothbrushes at a distance of 2 meters from our toilets. Why so? So that airborne microbes and other particles don’t reach our brushes when we flush. For example, E. coli bacteria can easily reach our brushes if within 2 meters of toilet.
4. Ancient cultures like Indians, Romans, Greeks etc. used frayed twigs for cleaning teeth. Fraying allowed the twigs to penetrate between teeth easily.
5. Egyptians were known to use leaves and twigs as early as 3000 BCE for cleaning teeth.
Interesting and Weird Toothbrush Facts: 6-10
6. Siberian hog hair was used as toothbrush bristles till early 1900s. Miracle Tuft Toothbrush – a soft-bristled toothbrush was invented in 1938. By 1948, Oral-B was already into mass production of such soft-bristled toothbrushes.
7. Toothbrushes made with nylon bristles from nylon yard were first sold in 1938, February 24.
8. William Addis from England was the first to trigger mass production of toothbrush.
9. China used to export boar or horse bristle mass-produced toothbrushes to England till mid 20th century.
10. Here is one of really weird toothbrush facts. 24% people share their toothbrush with their partners. 18% people have the habit of sharing their toothbrushes with their children. That’s fine. But sharing with friends or a celebrity? That’s true! About 7% people share with friends and about 6% will share their toothbrushes with a celebrity.