In this article of 30 interesting Chanakya Facts we will explore about the life of one of the greatest strategists and teachers India has ever known. While we will focus on commonly accepted information about Chanakya, we will also take a detour and learn about the conflicts among historians regarding the authenticity of some of the commonly accepted facts. However, because of lack of ample evidence and proper historical records, we will go with the commonly accepted facts. Why so? That’s because most of the conflicting views are from foreign historians – people from the same universe of historians who once glorified the Aryan Invasion Theory only to belittle the great Indian history.
Anyway, let us begin with the facts and at the end of these 30 facts, we will go ahead and speak of the conflicting views. So if you are ready, let us begin…
Interesting Chanakya Facts: 1-10
1. Chanakya is considered as extremely cunning and shrewd politician. He is also known as one of the earliest economists of ancient India.
2. Ashwin Sangi wrote a book known as Chanakya’s Chant in which Sangi claims that it was Chanakya who was responsible for uniting entire nation when India was attacked by Alexander the Great.
3. There are many legends which state that Chanakya actually maintained an army of females. These women were known as Vishakanyas. As per legends, Vishakanyas were extremely beautiful girls who were given small doses of poisons every day along with food.
4. Because of the small doses of poison, the girls grew resistant to any kind of poisoning. Not just that, it is believed that the girls were given poison until they reached puberty and then they were used for secret assassination mission.
5. As per legends, the poisons fed to the girls made them so deadly that even their kisses could easily kill a person.
6. One of the most interesting of Chanakya facts is that Chanakya’s views on women were not really great. Those views might have been accepted in ancient times but in modern times, they are considered as disgusting views. According to him, women are not trustworthy for they have corrupt and vile nature. – Source.
7. If that’s not enough, here is another view that Chanakya held – a woman can attain purity only if she drinks the water that has been used for cleansing or washing the feet of her husband. She can never attain such purity by drinking holy water or observing fasts or even offering charity. – Source.
8. Chanakya’s views about an ideal wife were a bit twisted too. According to him, an ideal wife should have the following characteristics:
- In the morning, she should be serving her husband like a mother serves her son.
- In the noon, she should be ‘loving and caring’ towards her husband like a sister is to her brother.
- In the night she should be able to please her husband the way a prostitute please a man. – Source.
No wonder, these views do not really resonate in today’s world and are considered as crippled and twisted thoughts.
9. It is said that Chanakya was so intelligent that he had a solution to every problem that showed up. It is also said that apart from being a pioneer economist and a politician, he even achieved the knowledge of astronomy and medicine.
10. According to many historians, Chanakya was born in 350 BCE and that he had a very manipulative nature that helped in the formation of Maurya Dynasty – one of the largest dynasties ever known in ancient India.