One of the most spectacular events of our universe is the Supernova explosion. It is probably THE MOST powerful explosion known to humans. So, what really is this supernova? Is it dangerous? How powerful is the explosion? How frequently does it occur? There are many such questions that keep coming to us and today, we will make an attempt to answer these questions through this list of 30 interesting supernova facts.
Supernova Facts 1-10
1. Supernova is nothing but a stellar explosion. To put in other words, it is actually an explosion of a star.
2. So massive is the explosion that for a brief amount of time, the explosion actually outshines the entire galaxy in which it explodes.
3. Whenever an explosion takes place, energy is emitted and supernova is no exception. The amount of energy radiated in one supernova explosion is equal to the amount of energy that has been radiated by our Sun so far plus the energy that it will radiate for the rest of its life.
4. A supernova is so bright that it literally takes weeks and sometimes months for the brightness to fade away.
5. During this explosion, luminous radiations are burst out and almost all of the material of the exploding star is expelled in outer space.
6. The material that is expelled from the exploding star travels at a very high speed of 30,000 kilometers in one second.
7. This explosion sends out a shockwave in nearby outer space. The outer space that we keep saying is actually referred to as interstellar medium which is defined as matter that exists in space between stars within a galaxy.
8. As this shockwave travels through this interstellar medium, the gas and dust from the exploding star are bound by the shockwave and it continues to expand. This expanding structure is known as supernova remnant.
9. Every time a supernova explosion takes place, the interstellar medium is enriched by elements of higher mass.
10. Not every star explodes. For instance, our Sun (which is a star) will never explode. Stars that are 10 to 100 times bigger than our Sun eventually explode and create a supernova explosion.