Sigmund Freud, the father of Psychoanalysis, is one of the most controversial and influential persons of all time. His work on psychosexual stages and psychoanalytic theory made him popular. Here are 30 interesting Sigmund Freud facts that you might find interesting:
Sigmund Freud Facts: 1-5
1. Freud was an Austrian neurologist. But he was born in Freiberg, Moravia. In the present days it is in Czech Republic. His family moved to Austria when he was four years old and lived there till the Nazis overran Austria.
2. Although he is known to everyone as Sigmund Freud, his original name was Sigismund Schlomo Freud.
3. He thought that he was the apple of his mother’s eye and called himself as “Golden Siggie.” He felt that his optimism, self-reliance and other positive attributes were because of the special love he got from his mother.
4. He was a polyglot. He mastered nearly 8 languages which included English, German, Hebrew, and Spanish.
5. Though he was a doctor by profession, he never wished to be a doctor; he desired to become a scientist. He joined medicine with the sole aim to conduct research.
Sigmund Freud Facts: 6-10
6. Freud conducted researches on eel and fish and earned a respectable position in physiology too.
7. As a medical student, Freud conducted research on cocaine (which was not considered illegal during his times) and published an article about cocaine’s health benefits and called it a miracle drug.
8. With his article published, many people started using cocaine and it resulted in cocaine plague in Europe and America. This made him infamous and he tried hard to keep himself away from the drug.
9. He was greatly inspired by a German physiologist Ernst Brucke. Under Brucke’s influence, he regarded an individual as an active participant who is heavily influenced by laws of nature.
10. After he entered private practice he learnt the art of hypnosis from Jean Charcot to treat neural disorders but he was not satisfied and along with Joseph Breuer he developed what is now called as “Free Association”.
Sigmund Freud Facts: 11-15
11. Free Association is a technique where the patients would speak whatever comes to their minds and Freud believed that it worked more effectively than hypnosis.
12. He gave more importance to sexual conflicts and considered that neurosis has sexual basis. He believed that early traumatic sexual experiences lead to neurotic behavior during adulthood.
13. He even discussed about child sexual abuse which he called as “child’s traumatic sexual experiences”. However, he considered that these experiences are mere fantasies that the clients believed as real.
14. It is argued that he deliberately tried to suppress this as he believed that if such traumatic experiences were so general then most of the fathers would be suspects to such pervert acts.
15. His theory is more or less like an autobiographical note as he based his theory on his own experiences like the sexual attraction he felt towards his mother and the sexual conflicts with Martha, his wife, which caused a lot of emotional disturbances.